Field Diffuser material,

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ramblings

Field Diffuser material,

Post by Ramblings »

what are peoples thoughts on the best material for a DIY diffuser I will be using it in the field so needs to be a substantial Material I've tried the plastic from a milk carton but I get a bright spot any help would be really appreciated.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ramblings, welcome aboard. :D

Numerous suggestions can be found by searching on orionmystery diffuser.

But note that no matter what material the diffuser is made of, it only works if it is well separated from the flash head.

If diffusion material is placed close against the flash head, then the light gets diffused to cover a larger area, but it still comes from the same small source, leaving a hot spot in reflections.

--Rik

Ramblings

Diffuser material

Post by Ramblings »

Thank you for your prompt reply I will take a look.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If you ever scrap an LCD screen from a camera, laptop or whatever, take it to pieces. You'll find a variety of light-modifying sheets of plastic!

A random source is your local stationer - A4 pocket files etc, may or may not be useful interms of colour, stiffness & diffusion.

A modular approach can be adopted if you fix a milk-container's lid to a lens cap with a large hole bored through both, then you can screw on cut part-containers, of different size, shape and clarity. Cravendale is unjustifiably expensive milk but tastes better, and is very cheap if you consider it to be a photographic accessory. ;)

Ramblings

Diffuser material

Post by Ramblings »

thanks chris great info

Greenfields

Post by Greenfields »

I have found the Lee Filters Diffusion Sheet No. 216 to be very useful.

It is available at a very modest cost (for Lee filters) in 24" x 23" sheets from:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261950705729

Filter Number #216 Full White Diffusion

Henry
Feel free to edit my images.

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

hello Ramblings

Here is a relatively low cost solution, given an old reuseable plastic container of adequate size and shape: a tall box or jar shape of rougly the circumference of the flash head. The idea is to cut out the bottom of the container so that it fits the flash head, and protrudes through the bottom. If the top cover is a translucent white, it can be sanded to more uniformly diffuse the light.

Alternatively, the plastic container can be used as a frame to secure a difusor material at a given distance from flash head. Respectable results can obtained with plain un-printed white plastic bags of adequate thickness. Stretch out the material over the top, in place of the cover. Also, tracing paper or other similar materials can work.

:D

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I use 20x30 softbox for flash, they are cheap and have reflective surface inside.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic