Snowflake photography rigs by Kenneth Libbrecht

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Snowflake photography rigs by Kenneth Libbrecht

Post by Chris S. »

Some years ago, Caltech professor Kenneth C. Libbrecht published two designs for dedicated snowflake photography rigs on his Website. Over time, I've referred photographers to his pages often enough to consider them a standard reference. Looking for these pages today, I was chagrined to find them no longer present. So here is a link to a Wayback Machine archived version:

Kenneth Libbrecht's snowflake photography rigs

Libbrecht gave part-by-part instructions for a setup using finite objectives, and showed images of an infinite setup, the design of which, while not detailed, will be obvious to many here.

--Chris S.

Constable

Post by Constable »

Here is an updated link to his work

http://snowcrystals.com/

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Thanks, Constable.

I had provided the very same link to Libbrecht's current Website--as well as a more prominent link to the archived version--in my post. But pretty clearly, the first link was not prominent enough to be noticed, so I'm glad you improved on this. :D

This said, here is a case where the updated version of the site has less value--at least for photographers--than the old one. There may be some very nice improvements in other areas, but all the how-to information is now missing. Hence my post.

Cheers,

--Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic