Damsel Fly new technique

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Damsel Fly new technique

Post by scitch »

I tried a slightly new technique with this Damsel Fly. I pointed the camera with macro lens and extension tubes down at the fly sitting on the microscope stage. I then used the focus knobs on the microscope to adjust the distance between lens and object. I'm still struggling with the lack of live preview and missing parts as I photograph as you'll see. I also tried a variety of apertures. Some are ok, others are bad, none are great.

Here's 32 mm of extension tubes with Tamron 90 MM Macro and a diffused external flash and soda can reflector. Good overall from a distance, but not much detail.

Here is full (68 mm tubes) with F-stop set low (F2.8 1/30 sec) with just the camera flash. His right eye looks ok and I missed the left eye completely.

I had another with the F-stop set high, but the file size was a little too high and I was too lazy to fix it right now. Plus, it didn't look good at all.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic