Testing my new EOS 1000D, first stacks

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

seta666

Testing my new EOS 1000D, first stacks

Post by seta666 »

As some Know my beloved 5D has some problem in the mirror and gets stack. I bought a EOS 1000D as a back up and I am quite happy with it it also gives me some convenient modern features as liveview and can be controled from the laptop.
Here are some of this first stacks:
-A 40x with nikon M plan 40x ELWD; yellow butterfly wingscales

View large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/508 ... 5d74_o.jpg

An small beatle´s shell, 20x with nikon M plan 20x LWD
View large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/508 ... 7fe5_o.jpg
a Spider some frinds brought me but I found dead next day; it was covered in dust and had some feather like structures
View large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/508 ... 0bc8_o.jpg
And the stereogram
A lepisma sacharina at 9x with BD plan 10x
View large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/508 ... b3cc_o.jpg
And the stereo
Same Lepisma with same lens but at 8x
View Large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/508 ... 78c5_o.jpg
And the stereo
And a small spider eyes at 15x with nikon M plan 20x LWD; I wanted to test how would it perform if pushing it down
View Large
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/508 ... e22c_o.jpg
And the stereo

So far I am quite happy with the results, but the EOS 5D offers much better per pixel sharpness . On the other hand APS-C cameras make stacking easier as less magnificatin is needed to get the framing you want
Regards

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

These look pretty good, I had seen the spider eyes on your flickr stream and the two lepisma sacharina stacks look good too.

As you say though, the original size images do look somewhat blurry. Do you have examples taken on the 5D, at 1.6x the magnifications shown here, for comparison?

seta666

Post by seta666 »

The per pixel sharpness in the 5D is much better, if you cut an APS-C sensor out of the 5D sensor you would end with a 5mpx sensor.
So for aps-C 10x macros 6mpx looks like maximum resolution you can have with quaity (f22 with the 10/0.25); for 20x or 40x shots something like 2-3mpx would be maximum as you are using efectives apertures in the f25-f40 plus
In my flickr you have plenty 5D samples; some of them are at full resolution (5x-10x) and some of them downsampled to 6mpx (40x)
Regards

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Beautiful photos with nice light, liked the depth of the stereograms
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

seta666 wrote:The per pixel sharpness in the 5D is much better, if you cut an APS-C sensor out of the 5D sensor you would end with a 5mpx sensor.
So for aps-C 10x macros 6mpx looks like maximum resolution you can have with quaity (f22 with the 10/0.25); for 20x or 40x shots something like 2-3mpx would be maximum as you are using efectives apertures in the f25-f40 plus
I'm still not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

It sounds to me like you're thinking that smaller sensors suffer more from diffraction. But that's not correct when you take into account that larger sensors have to run at higher magnification in order to take the same picture.

As an example, suppose you shoot at 10X and NA 0.25 on a sensor that is 22.2 mm wide (EOS 1000D). Then you are shooting a subject that is 2.22 mm wide, at an effective f-number of f/20. (Effective f-number = magnification/(2*NA).) To shoot the same picture on a sensor that is 36 mm wide (EOS 5D), you would have to increase the magnification to 16X. But that also increases the effective f-number to f/32. The effects of diffraction are identical at f/32 on the larger sensor and f/20 on the smaller sensor.

It is true that sensor size determines the effective f-number at which diffraction becomes a problem. However, when you use the same microscope objective and adjust magnification to shoot the same picture, the effective f-number scales right along with sensor size so that small and large sensors end up being equal. The same thing happens in ordinary photography when you adjust the lens aperture for constant DOF in the final image.

--Rik

seta666

Post by seta666 »

rjlittlefield wrote:.
It sounds to me like you're thinking that smaller sensors suffer more from diffraction. But that's not correct when you take into account that larger sensors have to run at higher magnification in order to take the same picture.

As an example, suppose you shoot at 10X and NA 0.25 on a sensor that is 22.2 mm wide (EOS 1000D). Then you are shooting a subject that is 2.22 mm wide, at an effective f-number of f/20. (Effective f-number = magnification/(2*NA).) To shoot the same picture on a sensor that is 36 mm wide (EOS 5D), you would have to increase the magnification to 16X. But that also increases the effective f-number to f/32. The effects of diffraction are identical at f/32 on the larger sensor and f/20 on the smaller sensor.

It is true that sensor size determines the effective f-number at which diffraction becomes a problem. However, when you use the same microscope objective and adjust magnification to shoot the same picture, the effective f-number scales right along with sensor size so that small and large sensors end up being equal. The same thing happens in ordinary photography when you adjust the lens aperture for constant DOF in the final image.

--Rik
Not smaller sensors but pixel crowded sensors. A 6 mpx APS-C sensor should behave itself like the 12.7mpx 5D sensor (I can think of Nikon D40 or Morpha´s Fuji S5pro); Other way of seeing it is that if you crop a 10x image from the 5D to match APS-C sensor size you end up with a 5mpx APS-C 16X (5mpx is more than enough for extreme macro on a APS-C body). The 5D would still have the resolution advantage
Bigger pixels from the 5D also mean better colour depth, less noise, etc...
I think final images from the 5D have that extra quality but with the 1000D is easier to stack (less magnification needed to get the framing you want). Also I am testing lenses pushed down, as Image circle needed for an APS-C is smaller (I know I can get CAs problems), that is why I used the M plan 20x at 15x, to have a 15x with less difraction than if pushing the 10x up.
I hope I will repair soon my 5D and depending on the situation I will use one camera or the other
Regards

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

seta666 wrote:The 5D would still have the resolution advantage
Bigger pixels from the 5D also mean better colour depth, less noise, etc...
Yes, absolutely. Bigger sensors have the advantage of less noise & better gradation whenever you have enough light to fill them up -- which is always for this kind of work.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic