Info on this objective?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Info on this objective?

Post by scitch »

I cannot seem to find much information on this objective. It is a Leitz Wetzlar 160/0.6-1.6 NPL Fluotar L 40/0.60 Phaco 2.

What does the NPL mean? What does the "L" mean? What type of objective would this be considered (i.e. Planachromat)? Do "Fluotar" or "Phaco" mean anything or are those just make and model?

Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Info on this objective?

Post by Pau »

scitch wrote:I cannot seem to find much information on this objective. It is a Leitz Wetzlar 160/0.6-1.6 NPL Fluotar L 40/0.60 Phaco 2.
What does the NPL mean? What does the "L" mean? What type of objective would this be considered (i.e. Planachromat)? Do "Fluotar" or "Phaco" mean anything or are those just make and model?
Mike
160= tube lengh
/0.6-1.6 "cover glass" thickness: this one is intended for inverted microscopes (for looking throug the underside of the slide or culture petri dish)
NPL Plan objective whith flat field up to 20mm eyepieces
Fluotar= fluorite lens, ie semiapochromat
L = I don't know, perhaps long working distance.
Phako2 = phase contrast whith matching 2 phase ring in the leitz condenser

So this objective will be very good in a Leitz inverted microscope, but of little interest in other applications.
Pau

scitch

Post by scitch »

What's the difference between an inverted objective and a regular objective? Is it that the inverted objective is made to see through the slide itself and the regular is made to see through just a cover slip? Is it because the lowest it goes down to is 0.6 and a regular objective needs to go down to the 0.18 range?

Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You are right (refered to "biological" objectives, metallurgical ones allways work without coverglass, so there is not any difference despite the microscope desing)
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic