Who killed cock robin ?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Who killed cock robin ?

Post by LordV »

The bloody cat !- luckily a fairly rare event - we normally get mice presentations (both dead and alive).

Taken with 5Dmk2/MPE-65/430Ex flash and focus stacked using zerene stacker.

Brian v.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

Awwwwwww... poor little guy...

Those sure are nice images tho! GJ!

LordV

Post by LordV »

Tesselator wrote:Awwwwwww... poor little guy...

Those sure are nice images tho! GJ!
Thanks for the comments :)
Brian v.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I would think at that magnification we should see some lice on those feathers but try as I may, I see none. They must be buried in or that is one clean dead bird. :lol: Don't know who killed it though, wasn't me. O:)

LordV

Post by LordV »

Ken Ramos wrote:I would think at that magnification we should see some lice on those feathers but try as I may, I see none. They must be buried in or that is one clean dead bird. :lol: Don't know who killed it though, wasn't me. O:)
Thanks ken - certainly didn't notice any parasites.
Brian v.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Very nice detailed images Brian.

Lice and fleas will leave a dead bird within minutes. They need the birds body temp to live. If you happen to see the event, you can see them leaving. Probably on your cat now. :)

LordV

Post by LordV »

Mitch640 wrote:Very nice detailed images Brian.

Lice and fleas will leave a dead bird within minutes. They need the birds body temp to live. If you happen to see the event, you can see them leaving. Probably on your cat now. :)
Thanks Mitch for the comments and info !
brian V.

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

We have two cats Brian.....one a blue-eyed Birman is a typical house-and garden cat she doesn't venture past the garden gate after having a hind leg torn and broken by a loose greyhound:

Our other Moggie is an adopted farm cat who just pops by for meals and a cuddle...........he is an expert at catching mice, rats and voles....but he can't catch birds because we have fitted him with the biggest and loudest cat-collar bells we could find.....all cats wriggle their butt before pouncing....in Ollie's case this action rings his bell an scares the target bird away:

Great pics of an upsetting subject...the Robin must be the UK's all time favourite bird?

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

LordV

Post by LordV »

sonyalpha wrote:We have two cats Brian.....one a blue-eyed Birman is a typical house-and garden cat she doesn't venture past the garden gate after having a hind leg torn and broken by a loose greyhound:

Our other Moggie is an adopted farm cat who just pops by for meals and a cuddle...........he is an expert at catching mice, rats and voles....but he can't catch birds because we have fitted him with the biggest and loudest cat-collar bells we could find.....all cats wriggle their butt before pouncing....in Ollie's case this action rings his bell an scares the target bird away:

Great pics of an upsetting subject...the Robin must be the UK's all time favourite bird?

sonyalpha
Thanks SA,

We have tried bells on the cat but it doesn't seem to make much difference and the birds are fairly rare events (one or two a year). Twice the cat has nearly managed to strangle itself with a collar on so we have given up using them.
Brian v.

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

Hi Brian.......thank you for your speedy response ............all good quality belled cat-collars have a breakable link or a weak weak elastic section...both are designed to prevent strangulation if a moggie gets hung up:

Slightly off topic:

This reminds me of when our late old (huge-lanky) Havana Brown Siamese type cat was harassed by our temporary pet Magpie:

That crazy bird would circle the cat by hopping sideways with his head cocked to one side...as soon as it saw an opportunity he would fly in to peck at the end of the cat's swishing tail...........in the end the cat refused to have anything to do with birds of any kind:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic