Nauplius

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bernhardinho

Nauplius

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi folks,

I've been fumbling about with a very simple flash set-up lately. As my mic doesn't allow any modifications like Charles' for instance, I use the old style external flash with a slanted slide as a mirror. Well it's better than nothing. See my first results on a Nauplius larva:

Obj.25x Plan, Leitz Periplan 10x, shutter 1/1000, Coolpix 990

Bernhard

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Excellent first results Bernhard.

I've seen the amazing results obtained by CK and others (and now your goodself) through using flash and of course appreciate the "motion freezing" benefits in snapping these uncooperative little blighters. So am I right in thinking you are using an ordinary glass slide positioned at 45 degrees to reflect the flash up through the condenser?

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some very good shots there Bernhard, naupli are hard to capture. :D

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Bruce Williams wrote: So am I right in thinking you are using an ordinary glass slide positioned at 45 degrees to reflect the flash up through the condenser?
Exactly, Bruce, it's 100% homebrew. Here is my medieval set-up:

Good luck

Bernhard

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Bernhard...
I use the old style external flash with a slanted slide as a mirror. Well it's better than nothing.
When I switched to the stand I currently use, my old "flash" method could not be used. So while thinking things over, (and having a friend machine some needed parts), I set up an arrangement as you have done. For about 8 months I used it, and it worked superbly. The only real annoying aspect was that the flash unit was a bit "in the way".. I would often inadvertently hit it with my hand. Alignment was important, but not hard to accomplish. In my setup it was necessary to add a small amount of diffusion to the front of the flash as in some cases a light/dark "pattern" of the fresnel was seen in the image. I used a larger piece of glass (actually a pellicle reflector) so that I could leave it in place and use the tungsten lighting when desired (and not have uneven light from the edge of the slide in the light path).

All in all, it is a very effective way of implementing electronic flash. With a little additional refinement and repositioning of the flash it could have made a fine permanent arrangement my purposes.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I would say you got some excellent results :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic