Smelly fungi

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jbailey

Smelly fungi

Post by Jbailey »

I realize that these fungi are't very pretty like those I most like to photograph and post here but they are somewhat interesting. Besides, the growing season is coming to an end.

These are "Stinkhorns" the smell badly when mature and attract flies like garbage and carrion.

These were among a group struggling to grow during a very dry month. Usually they mature more quickly when there is sufficient rain.

So anyway here are a not quite mature one and a mature specimen.

Hold your noses!

Jim

Last edited by Jbailey on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

risingwolf

Post by risingwolf »

We had a wet spring and summer so the fungi kingdom was out in amazing numbers this fall. Yours is a very interesting fungus. Attracts insects to carry spores away. Neat...
Dave

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Here in Europe there is a similar specie scientifically named Phallus impudicus for an obvious reason. Good find!
Pau

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have only ran across a stinkhorn once in my life but never thought to get a photo of it. :? Interesting shots there Jim. :D

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Thanks for the information on these specimens.

These two are part of a couple of square feet of struggling horns in a difficult situation. They are sprouting in very dry woodchips that cover a well-used park playground. They are nearest the bouncing squirrel ride and probably get their share of foot traffic.

One year in this same playground the horns sprung up quite quickly and were kicked to pieces almost a quickly as they appeared. The same season I had a fast growing stand of them in the woodchips on our flower beds.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic