Spider having dinner

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cozdas

Spider having dinner

Post by cozdas »

Today I received my off-camera flash cord and wanted to experiment with my paper napkin diffused mobile flash light :)

I don't know why, nowadays I'm finding dead bees on the ground, almost one a day. Looks like bees die in groups in this particular season, I'd like to hear if that's the case. Anyhows, since the previous dead bee served as my microscope specimen, I decided to feed this one to a nearby spider. I've thrown it to the web but the spider was not interested at all, probably the short vibration didn't match the vibration pattern that the spider was expecting. To simulate a struggling insect, I shook the bee on the web, and voila, spider immediately started to pack the dead bee. I've taken many pictures but I think those two are best ones amongst them. I've also tried to take focus-stack images but I haven't tried processing them. Since I was unable to hold teh camera still and since the focus steps are pretty random I'm not sure they will come out nicely. If I come up with a good one I'll post here for sure. Bur for now the single shots

Canon 7D + Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens + Canon 430EX II flash with paper napkin as the diffuser.

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Very good perespective, the first one with the head of bee included is a very interesting detail.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Nice shots, getting a focus stack of a moving web is very difficult and almost always leads to ghosting and artifacts. These shots are very clear. I think most macrophotographers can relate to playing with spider webs and trying to get them interested.
Paul

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic