My first contribution - Anthidium florentinum

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rumbert

My first contribution - Anthidium florentinum

Post by rumbert »

This is my first contribution to the forum, it's a bee known as Anthidium florentium.

The photo had been taken with a Sigma 105mm Macro lens, using all three macro extension tubes. I also used the Sigma macro flash EM-140.

Always learning

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

A good clear shot with a very similar set up to mine lens-wise.............but I think you need to devise a diffuser to soften your flash...............better experts than me on here will advise further:

Like many others I fitted an opaque plastic container over the flash head....lined it with crinkly cooking foil then covered it all with a double layer of opaque A4 folder.........I will see if I can find a photograph for you:

Here you go............there is now an opaque plastic folder wrapped around to diffuse the flash even more...............my current favourite settings are
F16 or F14 S 160 with the flash level adjusted to suit ambient light conditions...............see my latest posts for results:

I hope this helps?

sonyalpha

For illustration, see here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... ORUM_2.jpg

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... ORUM_1.jpg
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

DQE

Post by DQE »

Very enjoyable photo of a charming critter!

I especially like the background texture and lighting. The bee's head and face are interesting with their somewhat brighter lighting, too.

Welcome!
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rumbert, welcome aboard! :D

The bee looks good. Interesting composition, focus placed perfectly, good control of both highlights and shadows, creamy background. Nicely done!

The eye would look a little more natural with more diffuse illumination, but it's hard to keep two flashes from producing separate reflections no matter what you do. Many people use a single-flash scheme with a large diffuser to sort of imitate overcast lighting. The snoot arrangement shown in sonyalpha's setup does something similar.

--Rik

rumbert

Post by rumbert »

Thank you for your helpful advices.

I'm still learning about the capabilities of the macro flash and I hope next photos could be better.

The configuration shown by sonyalpha seems to be so interesting to prove it.
Always learning

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Welcome to the forum!

That is a very nice result, good detail on the eye.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey, welcome to the forums. I have that lens too! Now, if I can just get photos like that with it. :D

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Great shot with nice detail. The catchlight in the eye is bright but not overly distracting. You can always soften it in PP by pixel blending/feathering or clone it out entirely. Of course diffusion is probably the best overall solution.
Welcome to the forum,
Paul

rumbert

Post by rumbert »

Thanks for your comments.

Do you know any configuration schema to apply a diffusor to the EM-140? Maybe overlapping a soft paper?
Always learning

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

rumbert wrote:Thanks for your comments.

Do you know any configuration schema to apply a diffusor to the EM-140? Maybe overlapping a soft paper?
Don't know about the EM-140 but on my 430EX Canon speedlite, I use a rectangular piece of plastic cut from a frosted water jug and it is held in place with stick on velcro strips. That way I can remove or replace the diffuser quickly as needed. It is flat, easy to stow in your gadget bag, and doesn't take up space, if any, at all. :D

Retro

Post by Retro »

As a result of your lighting technique in this beautiful photo it appears that one can see through the surface of the eye to the bee's retina.
This has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about how/what an insect sees. I have to admit that I thought a compound eye produces completely formed images at each facet that are sent from there to the brain where they are integrated as some sort of multi-image picture (as has been depicted in so many "Nature Shows").
It now seems apparent that each facet is part of a large lens which projects an image onto one large retinal structure and then to the brain, much as our eyes do.
This makes a lot More sense than my former way of thinking. :idea:

Please chime-in if you feel like enlightening me further.

Jim

rumbert

Post by rumbert »

I don't really know how the insect eye works, but I readed that each element/sensor from the compound eye just only determine if there is light or not, not a real image. The insects can't see an image as we can do, they can see the movements by the variations on the light intensity.
Always learning

Tesselator

Post by Tesselator »

Excellent Bee.

And welcome in!

BTW, I don't think their brains are big enough to process shape - but if we could use their eye lenses to render the pattern that is ultimately transmitted to their brain I guess we could process the shapes. I guess it would look fish-eye like and pixelated.

http://www.isa.org/InTechTemplate.cfm?S ... ntID=53255

http://www.biology-blog.com/blogs/perma ... ision.html

Retro

Post by Retro »

Wow! Both are very interesting and enlightening articles Tess. they do not address what I think I see in rumbert's fine photograph but on the other hand what I imagine to be retina may only be reflections of the bee's body.
Regardless this picture has inspired my to delve deeper into insect vision, make that vision in general.

See what you've started rumbert?
Keep shooting,
Jim

rumbert

Post by rumbert »

Retro wrote: See what you've started rumbert?

Jim
Knowledge always haunts us, :D :D
Always learning

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic