Moth gyroscope: interesting news item

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Moth gyroscope: interesting news item

Post by gpmatthews »

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I like the BBC News and programing. :D Seems they always have something of interest, not like the political hogwash, violence, and sex scandle stuff that people here seem thrive on but then again maybe its there too, in the BBC, and it is just that I am not so much subjected to it here as I would be there. Who knows? :-k Anyway, a very interesting article as to how things work with insects. I wonder though :-k how they can remove the moths antennae and then are able to "glue" them back on :shock: It would seem to me that the moth surely has a network of nerves that would need to be delicately aligned in the reinstallation procedure and like wise when the antenna is removed, that must be a delicate operation too, it would seem. I wonder how many people there are out there now, who are trying to replicate this experiment and are going about "ripping" the antennae off of flying insects and then trying to "glue" them back on. :lol: Really I would like it if there were more detailed articles, explaining the procedures involved in going about things such as this. Just the same an informative and very interesting article. Thanks Graham :D

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I wondered about this too, but then thought that probably anything attached to the sensor would serve to give the right info - I suspect that the nerves from the antenna carry other information about smell, texture, etc., but that just having a "lever" attached to the gyro sensor may be enough.

As for gluing - well I've done some very small work on models and think it may be possible, see, for example, my page at http://www.geocities.com/gpmatthews/mk1model.html and the link on making 1/76 scale hinges (http://www.geocities.com/gpmatthews/hinges.html). Must get the superglue out...
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic