2007: An (inner) Space Odyssey. Actinospaerium

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

2007: An (inner) Space Odyssey. Actinospaerium

Post by Charles Krebs »

Olympus 40/0.95, Canon 350D, DIC with electronic flash

Occasionally in "inner" space you come across a scenario that inevitably make you think of "outer" space. Such is the case with this large heliozoan, Actinosphaerium. This specimen measured about 500 micron (0.5mm) in diameter, which makes it a pretty large member of the protist family. When observing it through the microscope, it's hard not to imagine a celestial body floating through space, or perhaps the sci-fi "mother ship". There is all sorts of activity going on at different levels. The cytoplasm regularly flows up and down the axonomes. Many smaller protist can be found around the surface (and if they are not careful, some will join others inside as a meal).

The first image (above) shows about 1/4 of the heliozoans "body", with a Synura colony moving about through the axonomes.

The second image (below) shows an overall view. You can see the very characteristic layer of large vacuoles at the outer edge of the cell.

Olympus 10X, Canon 350D, DIC with electronic flash

While I watched and photographed this heliozoan, I regularly observed rotifers (Keratella) approach and with their cilia, scour the axonomes for food. This activity is seen below.

Olympus 40/0.95, Canon 350D, DIC with electronic flash

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

WOW! WOW! WOW! :shock:
IT IS COSMICAL!!! :D
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

and again: WOW!!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Gees Charles, again I'm in Awe of your work. Just outstanding sir.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

.5mm....that thing is huge. It would be a mothership in the realm of the micro universe :shock: Awesome photos Charles.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks!

Doug...
.5mm....that thing is huge. It would be a mothership in the realm of the micro universe
Yes the size is imposing even through a 10X. It's fun to let your imagination go when watching these. If you go with the "mothership" concept, the little globs of protoplasm that slowly move up and down the axonomes look like little elevators ferrying the inhabitants up and down innumerable towers.
(... boy... I need to get out more :? )

Danny... where ya been? I know you've been taking pictures so lets see more. And when it comes to imagination... I know you have enough for a half dozen people!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic