Gray Dogwood Bud (cs)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Gray Dogwood Bud (cs)

Post by Ken Ramos »

A cold and raw day here in North Carolina, off from work with a wintery mix falling and ice forming on the trees and powerlines. Working in a textile dye facility, the probability of the power going out due to icy downed power lines, tends to shut things down, seeing as how if a roll of cloth is in a dye jig that suddenly stops, it is going to stay there and the dye will accumulate at the bottom of the roll, thus concentrating the dye in one spot only and ruining the roll of cloth. So...off from work and left to my own devices this day, I am still using my crude little microtome, which is nothing more than a sewing thread spool with a metal washer glued to the top and a wooden dowl in the spool hole as the mechanism for advancing the subject to be cut, in this case the bud of a Gray Dogwood tree embedded in candle wax. The cut made using a thin double edge razor blade with one edge taped over to keep from cutting myself...again. :roll:

The upper image shows the little flower petals, I believe, that were once waiting for the coming of spring but now that having been "cut" short or terminated. The lower image is that of the lower section of the bud directly below the flower petals. Some of the cellular structure of the bud can barely be made out. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Ken, your really finding some cool looking stuff to slice up. The first picture is very interesting. Nice job :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

I could swear I'm seeing paintings! :shock:
Great job Ken! :smt023
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks guys :D I can't wait until I get a real microtome and spring gets here so I can really slice up some stuff. :lol:

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Ken,

you're choosing very demanding objects there, well done!! Actually, you could have brightend up the dark parts of the petals a bit, using a picture editing programm, don't you think?

Bernhard

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Interesting results from simple tools Ken.

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A carpenter is only as good as his tools they say and mine are a bit simple, so you know where that leaves me. :-k Thanks Bruce :lol:

Here you go bernhard, I lightened it up a bit in Photo Impact. Made a little bit of a difference I guess. :D

Thanks guys! :D

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

There you go!!! Doesn't it look like a neat aquarel painting now?

I love it!! :D

Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Bernhard said:
There you go!!! Doesn't it look like a neat aquarel painting now?

I love it!! :D
"Aquarel?" :smt017 Had to look that one up in my "Websters" there Bernhard :lol: Yes, your right it does look like a watercolor. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic