got the time

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lartamax

got the time

Post by lartamax »

Got the time to have a look at a beginners watch photo. CC welcome.

Sekonda by jjlambe1, on Flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The image looks very good! Pleasant composition, nicely lighted, properly exposed, sharp everywhere, no obvious processing artifacts. What's the setup & workflow?

BTW, your post had a couple of extra img tags that were just printing instead of doing anything useful. I admin-edited it to remove those. Remember that there's a Preview button that lets you check tags befor hitting Submit.

--Rik

lartamax

set up and workflow

Post by lartamax »

Thanks for the comments (will check the extra tags next time).

Set up was pretty simple.
Canon 50D with Canon 100mm f2.8 manual focus.
I used a Canon 430 EX MKII flash and attached a piece of white card to the top with an elastic band bouncing the flash off the card. Then experimented with various flash angles and bending the card to get the exposure just right.
Exposure 1/250, f20 focal length 100mm. ISO 200
PP was minimal there was a small flash point on the blue background which I cloned out. I also brought up the exposure slightly and enhance the blue background. That was pretty much it.

John.

abpho

Post by abpho »

One comment about watch photography I can ad is that typically the hands are positioned at 10:10 so that they do not obscure the name/symbol of the manufacturer. I have no idea who made that watch you photographed.

lartamax

watch

Post by lartamax »

abpho wrote:One comment about watch photography I can ad is that typically the hands are positioned at 10:10 so that they do not obscure the name/symbol of the manufacturer. I have no idea who made that watch you photographed.
Thanks for your comments I was so busy trying to ensure a sharp image I neglected the composition. Basic and stupid mistake.

John.

dicklaxt

Post by dicklaxt »

Good job,,,,,,,,,dick

DQE

Post by DQE »

If it's not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate a few recommendations of some high quality watch photography forums. My attempts to Google such things has not been met with much luck, perhaps due to search engine bias in favor of commercially relevant sites.

An interesting recent development is that a few photographers have packaged some of their best specialty photos into Apple iGadget apps, sold at the App Store. I have one for jumping spiders by Thomas Shanan that I've enjoyed for showing people during a conversation nice examples of jumpers. Everyone usually responds to their cute eyes and resolves to try and stop hating and fearing spiders. There is an enjoyable one featuring antique and historically significant film cameras, too - it's called "Cameras as Art".
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic