First decent stack

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TiagoThedim

First decent stack

Post by TiagoThedim »

After some tests (and several hours reading this forum!) I finally managed to achieve some decent results:

The small whiteish particles on the eye are dust, I believe. I still need a better way to store my models, other than sitting atop my desk.

Now the technical details:
130 pictures (0.02mm step) @ f5.6 1/125 combined with Zerene Stacker (PMax method)
The fly was lighted with two flashes ( SB-800 and SB-28 ), one at each side.
As far as the lens go, I used a Vega 11U ( 50mm f2.8 ). A russian enlarger lens. Don't know much about it except it has a 5 element design and a nice 13-blade diaphragm.
I will post more details about the setup on another thread.

Comments are more than welcome :D

abpho

Post by abpho »

That turned out really well for you. Very clean detail. None of those nasty halos I keep getting either.

To combat the dust particles I give my subjects either a water bath or I give them a blast with an air blower (Giottos Rocket Blower).

TiagoThedim

Post by TiagoThedim »

Thanks for the tip abpho! I'll definitely try the air blower before my next stack.
As far as the halos go, I was getting some before but decreasing the size of the step (from 0.05 to 0.02mm) increased the final quality by a considerable amount.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Interesting. Thanks. I will have to keep that in mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic