Mass Mating of ants

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Mass Mating of ants

Post by beetleman »

As I was walking home from work yesterday, the sun was low in the sky, and I could see lots of flying insects in the air. The first thing that came into mind was "looks like the ants are mating" . In my yard I found a couple of colonies that were spewing out :wink: large amounts of workers & queens. As my wife was calling to me to come to dinner :D , I grabbed my camera, got down on the ground and took some shots. The first hole I noticed only had males coming out and about 6" away in the grass was another hole with a mass of queens and workers. Another interesting thing I noticed is the fact that their are two different workers tending the males and females. After a few moments, the males started showing up were the queens were emerging (those pictures did not come out good enough). Looking through the bugguide, I came up with the species Lasius and doing a little more searching, it seems that some species (a queen) can enter a nest and kill the other species queen and take over the nest. You have a mixed nest for a while until the workers from the other species die off. This is called "Temporary social parasitism". I may be way off the wall here because I am no expert on anything. This could be two different species!! Even if i`m wrong, I would never have known about Temporary social parasitism at all, if I had not dug a little deeper into the info.

This is the picture of the males
These are the queens

Last edited by beetleman on Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wow these are some nice shots of ant behavior Doug. Well done. :D

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

Great shots. You hit it dead on. You have two different species there. The yellow species is the parasite. It used to be in the genus Acanthomyops, however recently the genus was recombined with Lasius, so you have two species of Lasius there, one the parasite and one the host.

salden

Post by salden »

Now these are ant images :lol: . Great find.
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I had a feeling that Gordon would have a comment or two about this (after looking through his website links :wink: ) Thank you Gordon for the Confirmation on my observations :smt023 Here`s a little more info on the subject; http://antbase.org/ants/publications/20324/20324.pdf
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic