New to Photomacrography.net - very overwhelmed at the moment

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

abpho wrote: Do I need to worry about cover glass thicknesses?

Do I need to worry about the different immersion types?
I would say "yes" to both.

You don't want an objective that needs a cover glass and you don't want an objective that needs to be immersed in oil or water or glycerol.

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

abpho wrote: What is the difference between an M plan, CFI plan and a BD plan? Is this only pertinent to Nikon?
M Plan are for metallurgy. This means that they use a 210mm tube length rather than 160mm (so you set your bellows a bit longer) and they are designed to not need a cover slip (which is good).

CF means "chromatic free" and implies that the objective can be used without a matching eyepiece; all the oprtical correction happens in the objective (which is good, for macro).

CFI is the infinity form of CF.

BD is brightfield/darkfield. In terms of using a BD objective for macro, the practical implications are a) it may use a different sized scrw mount b) you may need to block up the illumination light path.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Thanks Chris. This is starting to make sense. Now I just need to get lucky and find some cheap objectives. I never knew they could cost that much. I have some respect for the people here that have amassed a small collection. They most probably have more disposable income than I do at this moment. :lol:

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Have you had a chance to play with the Nikon Labophot 10X 0.25 160/- objective?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

abpho

Post by abpho »

It has not arrived yet. I was holding my breath. But after 30 seconds I gave up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic