Now I'm even happier...

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

Now I'm even happier...

Post by Simon W »

So, after more coaching from Charlie and also realising myself that by even daring to touch the camera on the Trinoc mount, I was inducing unwanted vibrations, I decided to try shots via the Canon PC utility program. What a difference, I'm much happier with the crispness of shots coming out.

Using the better objectives, 20x and 40x Splan Apo's, has helped too, well I like to think!!

Could any of you biology experts chime in re. what on earth I was seeing? I'll enjoy taking your advice then doing some google research myself to bone up. The long strands with what looks like algae to me had tiny balls within them, moving within each square section.

I saw some fast moving, almost cockroach critters, however I could not freeze their action. I have no idea how to use flash with brightfield, some pointers would be great, eg can I start just by placing the flash where the lamp element would normally be? I AIN'T taking my 270 ex II apart just yet! I do have a remote lead though.

I had a ball this session, just wonderful seeing the tiny vistas on a slide! The buzz I received when seeing moving, living things so small was, well, childlike! I hope to keep that attitude. All these were from my goldfish tank's filter, I remember seeing some genius on these forums doing that. I may setup a container outside to start collecting more algae/moss etc, before Australia's summer makes it impossible. Then I'll pop down the beach for some hopefully fruitful collections. I don't live too far from a place called Ricketts Point, well known for its rockpools.

Ricketts Point:

My first very different lifeform I found, get used to my pleas for assistance in identification! Or is it just an incredible air bubble? I hope not:

See the worm like animal in this debris? Know what it is? Lucky you, I didn't. It was enthralling to see it moving around rapidly, then slowing down as the water in the slide was receding:

Is this Algae? You can see the small particles that were moving around inside each section, again a wonder to witness:

Just liked the colours in this one:

Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Simon,

After the introduction, I had to blink when I saw the first image as I was initially expecting a microscopic biological landscape :shock:

Images are looking good. :smt023

I'll let the microscopists offer ID's and introduce you to the pipette selection process. They might also want to include some of their 'netting' techniques for collecting aquatic samples.

Craig
Last edited by Craig Gerard on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Simon,

Sounds like you're having great fun. It's nice to read your enthusiastic postings, reminds me of the time back when I was throwing all kinds of biological stuff under the stereomicroscope to marvel at it. Looking forward to seeing what's inhabiting the rock pools of Ricketts Point. :smt023

Your first shot here looks indeed like a bubble artifact to me. As to the second: The worm could be a nematode, but it's a bit too much hidden under the debris to be sure. The others are, as you've said, algae. Perhaps other members can say more.

May the "childlike buzz" be always with us! :D

--Betty

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Thanks Betty and Craig. I was worried that bubble was just that. Tiny, that pic was with the 40x. Oh well, at least it was in focus, maybe I should just stick to bubbles.

So the swirling particles I saw in the algae were it dying?

The possible nematode was a very strong mover, hard to keep still. Or freeze. I'll google your suggestion though. Are there any free I.d. Sites you'd recommend Betty?

My 5yo came home from kinder, we were told he had a 'couple' of lice in his hair. I think they meant 'dozen', as that is what landed into my sample container on combing! So I'll try them next, although a couple are huge, they should have paid rent.
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Simon W wrote:
So the swirling particles I saw in the algae were it dying?
Probably not. I'm not expert, but it could just be cyclosis - the chloroplasts often swirl about in the cell.

There's links to sites on the homepage here, but I've had good luck with the book Guide to Microlife, as a starters guide to identification.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Very cool. Not sure if I want to get into that just yet. But it must be interesting to witness.

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

abpho wrote:Very cool. Not sure if I want to get into that just yet. But it must be interesting to witness.
Yes it was, such small particles whirling around, would love to video one day
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

abpho

Post by abpho »

Have you ever played (or seen) a game on the Sony PS3 called Flow? These images remind me of that. If you do make a video then you will need some very mellow music to accompany it.

Are you stacking any of these images?

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Yes Ab, I have a ps3, that was a beautiful relaxing game. No stacking with these, just a whole world in a water droplet, very flat with the coverslip.

Great pic with that macro lens by the way, pretty sharp. Stacking with Zerene works well from what I've seen and tested myself.
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic