OM to EOS mount adapter arrived

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

OM to EOS mount adapter arrived

Post by Simon W »

Finally I can mount my camera to the Olympus L adapter on the scope. Feels fairly solid now, and with the EFSC on, yeah, I don't think any vibrations are occurring. A much more consistent setup than the tripod over the eyepiece approach!

Murphy's law - Craig was nice enough to send me down a spare EOS adapter with his last delivery (I bought his analyser for the Oly), but my own belated purchase turned up the same day.

This first shot just proves that the contrast is significantly better, with no light leakage. Shooting brightfield through the transparent sugar with no coverslip is a pretty tough assignment, plenty of internal/external reflections to battle with in zerene, but I figured it's worth posting this one to compare with my first glare-filled attempt - it's a stereo pair, that I found amazing just staring through, it's like looking at an ice block.

Also found that taking care with the oblique stop positioning helps ALOT with minimising unwanted glare.

Sheesh, Charlie is not wrong when it comes to the FOV problems with the 2.5x camera adapter. You lose a lot of image when stuck with an APS sensor and this adapter. Feels like approx 1/3rd the view. However, like many, I ain't shelling out for the 1.67x, $600 going price. I'd rather wait a yr and get a 'cheap' 5D mk II and pay the extra for other benefits. I can pretend it only cost me say $1300 :oops:

This is such a huge learning curve, I feel it could take years to get good at this. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Simon,

Charlie did upload some images illustrating the FOV with various NFK photo-eyepieces when using full-frame and APS-C sensors.

I thought I had an electronic print of both of those discussions, but can only seem to find one at present and an image from the second article.

Here is one of Charlie's illustrations demonstrating the FOV with an APS-C and various Olympus NFK photo-eyepieces.

Also see this post for some FF information:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=53199

To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Yes I remember that post, but seeing it in reality really hits you. Oh well, at least I won't see too much distortion at the outer edges!
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

ah fascinating, I just read the link in more detail, expecially Charlie's great spreadsheet regarding resolution/pixel size. Wow, so today's sensors are more than capable of capturing every objective's resolution. Hmm, but we all know it's not just pixel count that counts.
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Simon,

Another option, depending on subject motion, is to use a stack'n'stitch method. This involves dividing up the field of view into a matrix, a 2X2 for example, easier said than done...

It's the method Martin Kreutz used here:
It was my intention to create an image of the complete wasp. For this purpose I've taken 380 images (5 batches of each 76 images) with my Olympus 4X UPlanFl objective (no projective was used). After the stacking process using Combine Z the resulting 5 images were carefully arranged in Photoshop. By this process I could achieve a total view of this phantastic coloured insect:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=10247

What does the sugar look like when you have the FL2 pointing at it?

Craig

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Craig Gerard wrote:
What does the sugar look like when you have the FL2 pointing at it?

Craig
Gorgeous. If only pictures could capture that crispness that we all know.

I'm finishing off taking a few more non-stacked pics, some with the FL2, will post today. I"m having a ball now, the mount makes things a lot easier/quicker. Oh, just found my new flash too (shoved it in a drawer, as that 270 is so small it's hard to find!
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Simon,

Don't be looking through the eyepieces when the flash fires, if you are sending it through the condenser 8)

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic