Honey bee, pollen rake detail..and.. the "CRUSHER"

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Honey bee, pollen rake detail..and.. the "CRUSHER"

Post by Charles Krebs »

Whew! I had meant to post a new message and added to this one by mistake... took me 5 or 6 edits to figure out the character limit for the subject title!

On the honey bee leg image posted the other day I pointed out the pollen rake. The slide was still on the scope so I decided to look at it in more detail. The bee uses this "rake" to scrape together the pollen that is collected on the pollen brush of the opposite rear leg. This pollen is then moved into the leg joint where it is crushed against the auricle as the bee flexes its leg. It is then stored in the pollen basket located on the outside of the tibia. The tips of each bristle is flattened and squared off, like a slot screwdriver tip (you can see this best on the two or three at the left side). The bristles have various amounts of "twist" to them, perhaps making them perform their function more efficiently.

This was taken with a 25x Zeiss Neofluor using the same incident lighting used for the overall leg shot. I was sort of surprised that it illuminated as well as it did since the working distance is so small. I was also surprised that it "stacked" pretty nicely since each individual image looked rather hopeless.

Last edited by Charles Krebs on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

svalley

Post by svalley »

Charles, great shot! Lighting and tonality are spot on. Your stacking did a good job separating the bristles from the BKG. Sometimes my software has a problem when the color and tonality are so similar. Well done!
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Honey bee, pollen rake detail

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charlie, this is very beautiful, as always!

You commented:
I was also surprised that it "stacked" pretty nicely since each individual image looked rather hopeless.
I have done only a handful of stacks with a 20X objective (NA=0.40), but I had exactly that same reaction on each one. Can you post out an example or two, like I did at the end of this click beetle thread? And by the way, what is the working distance for that 25X objective?

--Rik

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

So glad you decided to do this shot Charles - result is remarkably three dimensional. The more I study the image the more impressed I become!

(please visualise a "shaking head in amazed disbelief" emoticon)

Bruce

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Charles, What is your source of study providing you with the knowledge of this rake etc?

Walt

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW Charles...beautiful image. :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Walt... the internet :wink: . There is quite a bit there, but these two pages were most helpful:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultran ... sects.html
http://plantphys.info/Plants_Human/bees/bees.html

Rik... here are two "stack" images and the "final" at bottom. There were 55 images in the stack.

The 25x Neofluar has a na of 0.60 and the working distance is quite small. I don't have the specs, but it is not the solution you're looking for :cry: :wink:
It is not very happy without a cover slip (one was used for this shot). I think for a 20x used for incident light and stacking, a "M" type objective would be best (no cover slip), but even with these, working distance will need to be looked at carefully.
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Charles Krebs

Pollen packer, honey bee... the "crusher"

Post by Charles Krebs »

This will complete this set of shots. I had not intended to do this many (actually I was just playing around trying some lighting variations) but I do find it an interesting subject.

The top shot provides some context for the relationship between the rake and the auricle. The rake is at the lower end of the hind tibia, and the auricle is at the "top" end of the first tarsal segment. (In the top photo, the joint "pivot" would be just outside the image area, left side/central).

These two images give a pretty good look at the auricle... aka "anvil", "crusher". (The lower image is a cropped section of the upper).
Just looking at its surface, it is obvious how well this specialized feature would perform the task of crushing the pollen grains when the leg is flexed.

Nikon CFN Plan 10/0.30, Canon 350D. Stacked with Helicon Focus)

svalley

Post by svalley »

Charles this whole set of images is awesome! You are a master with the lighting!
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic