Capillitium & spores of Trichia faviginea

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Capillitium & spores of Trichia faviginea

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Leitz Ortholux
Brightfield
Leitz 45X Achromat
10XGF projection eyepiece plus 1/3X relay lens
13 images at 1 micron increments
Canon 10D
CombineZM, Photoshop

From the myxomycete Trichia faviginea, my first attempt at a stack in the 1 micron range to bring out more of the capillitiun structure. The spores seem to have benefited as well.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Don't do this to me Walt... :smt028 You know its the dead of winter and there are no myxo's about, even though we do have archived images. :roll: Yep, I am already geared up for the first warm, damp, nights to come about for prime myxo hunting and plasmodia too! :D Most of my excursions for myxos are in the early mornings after a nights rain or heavy dew but I think this year I will try some night time adventures in looking for them in the process of fruitification. Great image and the spores do have quite an interesting structure to them. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Nothing personal Ken. Really :) Hey, you have been posting some very nice images recently. Your Ruptured Ducks, Vorticella, Telotroch etc appear to all be brightfield but show almost DIC or obligue detail. Are you manipulating the condenser? Your not providing much info and I would like to get similar results.

Walt

svalley

Post by svalley »

Walt, nice abstract in gold!
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great textures and detail in the shot Walter...I see Ken is drooling again #-o
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Walt asked:
Are you manipulating the condenser? Your not providing much info and I would like to get similar results.
Got a dime? :o

I place a dime about 18 mm O.D. (in the center of a blue filter) on the top tray of the three flter trays I have below the condenser. Open the condenser iris fully and the Kholer iris too. Then readjust the Kholer iris for best contrast leaving the condenser iris fully open. Oblique illumination or "poormans DIC" I call it. :D

Walter Piorkowski

Very interesting Ken, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I forgot to mention (sorry) :roll: , swing the filter tray with the dime centered on the filter, just slightly out of the way allowing light to slightly pass by the edge of the dime and the tray housing. If you swing the tray all the way in with the dime in place, it will give you darkfield illumination. If you play with it long enough, which should not be more than a minute or two, you will see what I mean. You can also cut a round circle the same diameter as the dime out of a piece of black electrical tape for a more permenant darkfield or oblique stop. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic