www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Lichen stacks
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lichen stacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Lichen stacks Reply with quote

Lichen stacks

Leitz Ortholux
EPI illumination
Leitz 3.8X Ultropak Epi objective
5X Nikon CFE projection eyepiece + 1/3X SP relay lens
Top image-28 image stack at .002 inch increments
Bottom image-26 image stack at .002 inch increments
Combine ZM, Photoshop

Some lichen close-ups to share as I experiment with the improved sharpness of CombineZM over my original software.

Walt
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

These are looking better -- sharp and no obvious stacking artifacts. Crispness and CA look great (as I'd expect from what seem to be high quality optics you're listing).

Are you actually using the EPI illumination (which I presume means through-the-lens)? If so, why does the illumination appear so much brighter and warmer (redder) on the right?

--Rik
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I had not noticed that right off. There does seem to be a color shift from left to right. Still a nice set of images though. Very Happy
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both you gentlemen have a critical eye. My EPI illuminator set up is not factory spec. It is something I cobbled together from spare parts. It doesn't put out even illumination as centering the bulb is difficult. There may be some chromatic colors being thrown in also.

I recently purchased an original illuminator attachment for my EPI port and as soon as I have time to machine up an adapter will give it a try.

Thanks for your comments.

Walt
svalley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt, intersting shots! Your stacking worked well. The fine grained material in the "cups" looks almost like sand. Is it debris that has collected there or part of the lichen?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Piorkowski wrote:
Both you gentlemen have a critical eye. My EPI illuminator set up is not factory spec. It is something I cobbled together from spare parts. It doesn't put out even illumination as centering the bulb is difficult. There may be some chromatic colors being thrown in also.

I recently purchased an original illuminator attachment for my EPI port and as soon as I have time to machine up an adapter will give it a try.

Thanks for your comments.

Walt,

Well, um, I prefer to think of my eye as observant, not critical. But I can imagine it doesn't always come across that way... Laughing

My setup has no through-the-lens lighting capability at all, and while I've thought from time to time about cobbling one together, I've never had the time nor courage to actually give it a try. How much of yours came from the manufacturer and how close was it to working, to start with?

About these pictures, now I'm thinking that the overall illumination must be some combination of ambient and epi, with a different color balance to each. Knowing how the pictures were taken, does that sound right to you?

--Rik
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Steven the material you descibe as sand is actually a thin layer of calcium oxalate crystals. This is common on the pruinose lichens and lichenologists think it helps the lichen by reflecting light.

On to you Rik, I thought a critical eye would be a compliment. Sad

Anyway regarding my EPI set up none of it was original. The ortholux was designed to provide EPI through a horizontal hole in the frame located just above the objective holder. I cobbled up an arrangement that utillized a stand alone illuminater like you would find lighting the subject of a sterio microscope in the 1960's. I simply placed it in the hole of the frame.

A number of differant objective set ups were available, one for metallergical work used normal objectives. My set up is the Ultropak arrangement that is very suffisticated and blocks the light from entering the objective. After bouncing 90 degrees of a mirror, the light follows the barrel of the objective and passes though a perforated lens that can concentrate the light on the subject were the objective picks it up and sends it to the eyepiece.

Regarding your ambient light idea you could be correct. There is a few inches between the subject and the objective and I had a fluoresent light on close by.

One other note. My microscope is approx 50 years old and the only way to get parts and even literature on the parts available is to search ebay and the net. I am still missing parts for my Ultropak system and I don't even know what they look like.

Walt
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Piorkowski wrote:
On to you Rik, I thought a critical eye would be a compliment. Sad

Excellent, I shall consider myself complimented! Very Happy (Just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming across as unduly picky. There have been one or two occasions in my life... Sad Laughing )

I'm happy to see such cool stuff coming out of your rig. Those fern sori are beautiful! Very Happy

--Rik
beetleman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Walter Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: