2 Marine Organisms ID?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TonyB

2 Marine Organisms ID?

Post by TonyB »

Hi,

Attached film is of 2 organisms collected from south-east coast of UK using a home made plankton net. The local youths seemed to take quite an interest in a grown man pulling a pair of ladies tights and a small jar along a jetty with a piece of string.

I have no idea of the species ID, so if anyone has an idea would greatly appreciate their suggestions or a pointer towards any useful sites that would help ID them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpL6pO6XSLs

Sorry about the quality of the pictures - any help in improving the image quality would also be greatly appreciated.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Nothing wrong with this bit of video.I'm no expert on plankton, so beyond suggesting that they are both larval stages of creatures that will look very different when they grow up, I can't help there. You might care to post this in the main 'through the microscope forum', or ask mods for it to be moved. I don't think you need feel ashamed of the video quality.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Dave's advice is good enough for me. I moved the topic to here in Photography Through the Microscope, where it will get more viewers.

--Rik

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

The second animal is a Veliger-larva from a marine mollusc.
(Congratulation for your nice video!)

Franz

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I think the first animal may be a cilliated trochophore larva. A number of different marine animal groups have this type of larva. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochophore
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Very interesting subjects..and a good quality video!
many thanks !
art

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Thanks for the positve comments and the move to the main forum. For most microsope forums/websites I would not have hesitated sending the film into the main site but the contributions to this forum are the best that I have seen - awe inspiring and simply the best and most consistent on the web that I have seen - thanks to everyone for sharing.

Thanks to Catcusdave and Franz for the IDs. Several hours have been spent researching these animals and life cycle stages on the web. Not sure why my education seems to have totally missed out on the life cycles of molluscs and marine worms- however, never too late to learn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic