Metallic Beetles

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Metallic Beetles

Post by svalley »

Metallic and shiny beetles are always a challenge.

Leica MZ16 stereomicroscope w/extended depth of field imaging system
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Indeed they are and what a colorful threesome! :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

WOW! Awesome! :D
Doug would be delighted! 8)
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Steve,

Great photos as always. I notice the blue individual is showing an extension of some type behind the wing cases - is that significant in any way?

I have read that larvae have been known to take up to 30 years (one website says 50!) to complete their development within the wood (normally 2 to 3 years) - can that really be true?

Bruce

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

The place behind where thorax connecting wings looks a little bit differently shaped in case of middle one.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful picture Steve. I love Metallic Woodboring Beetles. Were these pinned and you photoshopped the pins out? Sometimes the underside is more Spectacular than the top.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

svalley

Post by svalley »

Thnaks for your comments, guys.

Bruce: I think that is a female. I have noticed that the last segment of the abdomen extends beyond the elytra in many Buprestid females and in general their bodies are a bit wider and rounder. I am not very knowledgeable about Buprestids or beetles for that matter, my specialty is the Odonates. I will ask our Bup expert if there is any easy way to tell the sexes apart and about the longevity of the larvae. That is one of the cool things about my job, I am learning new things about insect groups that I have ignored for most of my life.

Nikola: I do not know whether that is a slight morphological difference or just a difference in the positioning of the specimen when it was mounted. When I look for specimens to shoot, I notice that many are positioned differently especially with regards to the divisions between the head, thorax and abdomen. These are mainly due to the way each one dried after it was pinned.

Doug: Almost everything I shoot is pinned, so I have to photoshop the pins out. You are right, the ventral sides can be pretty spectacular and often contrast with the dorsal colors. The top of the abdomen under the wings can also be very colorful.

I am working on a project right now to photograph most of the Buprestids and Cerambicids of western North America.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Is the project your working on now for the DOA? What a dream job...Insects and photography :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

svalley

Post by svalley »

Doug, actually it is ODA. Yes, we are producing a screening aid to help non-taxonimists ID trap samples, in a project funded by the Forest Service and Oregon State University.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Very nice indeed! I find these here in our WA state forests... but have not seen the "blue" version (on the right) before. Great lighting and execution all the way around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic