First shots on dedicated macro lens. Could use some advise

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mogie

First shots on dedicated macro lens. Could use some advise

Post by Mogie »

Focus seems to be the main issue. I've heard the phrase 'stacking' thrown about. Any usefull tips or links on this?

All help appreciated as usual.

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

LOOKING GOOD..

for stacking your subject needs to hold still..

since you will need to take a series of pictures focused at different planes
Just shoot it......

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Thanks,

Yeah I figured as much. Must be the same thing I do on my microscope with Photoshop. I just didn't know it was called stacking. :D

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

I think the lens you have could produce some very nice results. If you are not doing so already, ensure that the lens is set to MF. Then rather than letting the cam focus, get your subject in shot and physically move the cam closer or further away until you get the bit you want in focus. I normally aim for the eyes being in focus. Those shots you have are nice but you have "just missed" the perfect focal point IMO.

This image was taken handheld using this technique.

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

DrLazer,

Thanks, yeah I was using it without auto focus I think I just needed a bit of practice working out the best way to hold the camera / sway the lens etc to get the optimal focus point. My second attempt the following weekend is a bit more promising. Just need some more bugs now. Getting sick of ladybirds already.

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Yeah defo better shots! Well done

I think the bee would have been better if the eyes were in focus. It's a trick from portraiture photography, a "golden rule" if you like - if they eyes are in focus then it gives the impression that the rest of the shots blurs as intended.

The bee would have been a good candidate for a 3 or 4 frame stack. It's tricky stacking handheld but you can get some stunning results when you get good at it (im not).

Also, are you using the cameras built in flash?

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Yeah I find it quite tricky to hold the camera steady. Also I'm using a flash head with some studio diffusion fitted over the top. I think this is one reason I'm having stability issues. As I'm having to wait for the flash to prime before I can capture. Usually the camera moves a tiny bit and I loose my focus. Think I also need to construct some kind of mini softbox too to cut down on the hot-spots. Bit more practice at the weekend I think.

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Yeah the shot I posted was taken with built in flash. that's why there are specular highlights all over it. There are lots of tutorials online for many different types of diffuser. Well worth DIYing something.

How long is your strobe taking to re-prime? I fire mine on Manual mode on 1/16th power so I can fire shots one after another without waiting at all.

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Yeah I think it's just a case of me sitting down and mucking around with it. It always suited me for other types of photography but obviously need more control over it for macro.
I'll hopefully have some more stuff up soon.

Thanks for all your help

:D

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

You're welcome. Look forward to seeing more shots from you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic