Amazon Pics Part 16

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Amazon Pics Part 16

Post by Moebius »

Have shown this guy previously, but I liked the tiers of the comp.

Nothing special, but will include for completeness:

Nice pic of mating butterflies

Ken Nelson
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm
Last edited by Moebius on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

wow some very beautiful shots Ken. Those butterflies in particular have some nice color contrast to their background. Same with that first bug. The hopper almost blends in but you do a supurb job of keeping the DOF shallow to make it stand out.

Great work!
Carl B. Constantine

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Ken,

Well you say "nothing special" but I reckon you've just been spoilt by all the wonderful diversity of flora and fauna you encountered on your Amazon trip :D .

I love the green hopper with its beautiful, leaf-like veination and wonderful translucent colouring. Its eyes have real character too! I think you did a really good job getting such a clear photo of a green insect when everwhere you look is green too.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I have to say they look pretty special to me. the butterfly one is wonderful. You did a hell of a job on your trip photos.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Beautiful photographs, especially the mating butterflies :D . Due to my recent obsession with fungi infected insects, I cannot help but to wonder what sort of things I would find in areas like the amazon. :roll:

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Yes,

I imagine I am spoiled by all I found down there. Spoiled for a long while perhaps.

Ken, I just processed a 6-8inch moth that was laying flat against the tree totally covered with fungus. Will post when I get there chronologically.

Ken

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I bet Ken is Salivating right now :P :D :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Actually, and coincidentally, that fungus ridden moth should be in tomorrow's post.

K

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Wow! It's really eye catching and much more details with 800× pixel dimension. :D By the way vertical dimension could be also 800× which means bigger #1 photograph. Nicely visible leaf alike structure of that hopper. This one is more usually looking as we have here. Long-horned grasshoppers, Suborder Ensifera, Superfamily Tettigonoidea, Family Tettigoniidae I would say? 8)
As like as my hoppers.
Besides, have you a problem with dust on your camera sensor? It looks like a patch ( 3/4 upper side of #2) or it could be some other effect (a fly far out of focus for example).
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Yes, sensor dust was a problem down there. I have had to remove some spots post processing; I must have missed this one.

Ken

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well Ken, the butterflies really look great on the front cover, what do ya think? Yep, never made front cover over here but I did a long time ago over in microscopy, of course I wasn't into macro then; more like pick up trucks, dirt roads, cheap beer, and truck stop waitresses :roll: Yeah things sure change, where did the time go? :smt017

Well Ken they sure look great, butterflies doing what butterflies do best I guess :-k Enjoy! :D

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Thanks everyone...I knew if I put up enough pics from this trip that one of them would be good enough to get me on the cover :wink:

It has been a pleasure sharing the pics and the processing/sharing has helped to pass time through the long winter. I just hope I get done processing/posting them all before spring gets here.

Ken

svalley

Post by svalley »

Congratulations Ken! Awesome image!
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic