Tiny Long Horned Beetle

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

Tiny Long Horned Beetle

Post by morfa »

First of all a big thank you to my friend (and forum member) Nikola Rahmé for providing me with this nice specimen. This beetle is less than 5mm long which makes it one of the smallest Cerambycids in the world.

These are uncropped and shot at approximately 12X on a FF sensor (Canon 5DmkII). Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 10x 0.28 + morfanon. Stacked in Zerene Stacker (PMAX) from 254 and 248 frames respectively.

Larger: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/543 ... 8c0b_o.jpg

Synthetic rocking sequence:
Slightly larger: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/543 ... 1e07_o.gif

Cross eye stereogram:
High resolution flash version HERE

Same specimen, different view:

Larger: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/543 ... 23d4_o.jpg

Cross eye stereogram
High resolution flash version HERE

Thank you for viewing!

seta666

Post by seta666 »

That is very nice!! those hairy subjects are allways difficult to deal with.
I see you are enjoying your mitutoyo, have you tested the USMCO 20 yet?
To push the mitutoyo up and down yo just have to extend the whole thing u or down, right?
Regards
Javier

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Long Horned Beetle

Post by Pau »

John, again excellent stacks, I like in special the second one
morfa wrote:approximately 12X on a FF sensor (Canon 5DmkII). Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 10x 0.28 + morfanon.
10X is supposed with a 200mm tube lens. If the morfanon is a 172mm lens, the magnification would be smaller... :smt017 I'm missing something
Pau

morfa

Re: Tiny Long Horned Beetle

Post by morfa »

Thank you!
Pau wrote: I'm missing something
Only what I didn't tell you: I increase magnification by increasing the bellows extension of the tube lens (just like Javier suggested)

In this image the morfanon (inside the black extension tube above the Mitutoyo) is probably close to infinity focus. As you can see there is plenty of room for extension/magnification variation in both directions.

seta666 wrote:have you tested the USMCO 20 yet?
Yes, in terms of edge performance it's very far from the Mitutoyo in combination with the "morfanon"! Center performance is quite respectable though! With a regular 200mm camera lens I couldn't see much difference but now it's very clear.

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Magic once again!

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

Amazing.. !!
Tomas Rak

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

These are really nice!

David

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

I really like the simplicity and versatility of this vertical setup, did you used difused flash for the capture or the auxiliary lights ?
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

morfa

Post by morfa »

Thank you!
Gustavo wrote:did you used difused flash for the capture or the auxiliary lights ?
I used flash for these but the last couple of days I've been using the Jansjö lights for exposure with EFCS – works very well and the results are similar but more predictable.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

morfa wrote:Thank you!
Gustavo wrote:did you used difused flash for the capture or the auxiliary lights ?
I used flash for these but the last couple of days I've been using the Jansjö lights for exposure with EFCS – works very well and the results are similar but more predictable.
I am doing exactly the same, I am testing my new camera and some lenses with EFCS and 3 of these led lights. Up to 10x seems OK but I have seen everyhing moving at 40x when someone walks around (I live in a 5th floor)
What kind of Exposure times are you getting lets say with your mitutoyo 10 apo?
Regards
Javier

DQE

Post by DQE »

Just amazing.

I wasn't anticipating the rocking stereo photo, and I involuntarily flinched as I scrolled the web page down to this photo! My reaction was caused by my emotions/subconscious thinking this creature was real and coming out of the screen - it looked that real to me, temporarily. It took me a few seconds to realize that "it's only a picture"! This is the first and only time I've had such a reaction - I hope you enjoy my admittedly humorous report.

Great photos.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

DQE wrote:This is the first and only time I've had such a reaction - I hope you enjoy my admittedly humorous report.
I don't know about John, but you've made my day. :D

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Truly impressive images, in the literal sense.
I can't get the similarity with these guys out of my head.

DQE

Post by DQE »

Now that I've calmed down after the rocking stereo image freaked me out (see above), I think it looks like some sort of Star Wars movie alien planet creature.

Actually, I've long thought this about most bugs when seen highly magnified in macro photos. These creatures and their mostly invisible world is for many purposes an alien land inhabited by so many strange, alien creatures.

<Now that it's about the middle of my mid-winter macro photography downtime, I fear I am once again developing a "seasonal bug photography withdrawal" syndrome. My only hope is that people from milder climates keep posting their great macro photos!>
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

morfa

Post by morfa »

Thank you very much!
seta666 wrote:What kind of Exposure times are you getting lets say with your mitutoyo 10 apo?
It's in the 1/25-1/10 second range.
DQE wrote:I hope you enjoy my admittedly humorous report.
Definitely :lol:

And I agree, the bug abstinence is not easy to deal with this time of year. I'm lucky Nikola took pity on me and posted me this =)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic