newbie question: connecting microscope optics to cannon 400d

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

reggy

newbie question: connecting microscope optics to cannon 400d

Post by reggy »

hi all, apologies if the questions below have been answered before but after checking the FAQ's and many many threads here i coudnt find the answer i was looking for, this is probably down to my lack of knowledge in the subject. :(

i have been into macro photography for some time, i currently reverse mount to get the images i have over at fickr but i want to get closer still.
i have a canon eos 400d and want to use microsope lenses attached to the camera to get closer images (like lord v and many others here) as time goes on i suppose i would
like to get a microscope but thats for another time.

the question i have is connecting the microscope optics to the camera and which are the best optics to buy, i have searched but have so far been unable to find an answer is there anything available for canon to attach these microscope optics to the camera?

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

there is pretty much an adapter for anything...search adapter canon on ebay

you can also search adapter rms...

I like this setup for on the road

Just shoot it......

reggy

Post by reggy »

thats the thing, what objective is that you have attached? and do you have any images taken using it?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

reggy, welcome aboard!

Your question is now appearing often enough that it really ought to be covered in the FAQs. I'll get that done later today. Stay tuned...

--Rik

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

olympus 10x m10

this is just a handheld shot of a quarter

Last edited by SONYNUT on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just shoot it......

reggy

Post by reggy »

thanks sonynut,

rjlittlefield - i think my difficulty was not realising when i was given the information i needed, unfortunately after reading 40-60 posts (and there are some long posts) the information kind of gets muddled up.

i have since found some of the information i needed thanks to guys like sonynut and my own perusing of the site and posts you have here.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

reggy wrote:i think my difficulty was not realising when i was given the information i needed, unfortunately after reading 40-60 posts (and there are some long posts) the information kind of gets muddled up.
Yep. That's why we need a FAQ -- for the next person in your shoes if nothing else.

--Rik

reggy

Post by reggy »

:)

so next up i notice many people use the same optics but they are expensive, will the cheaper ones i have seen £10 -30 do the same job just with loss of quality?

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

the olympus 10x objective above cost me $20.. on ebay..

or i'll pull a Zeiss off of my microscope if needed
Just shoot it......

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Rik wrote:Your question is now appearing often enough that it really ought to be covered in the FAQs. I'll get that done later today. Stay tuned...
In the meantime......

You can try just about any microscope objective; but whether it provides good images is another matter.

Short story:

Many microscope objectives were/are dependent on secondary CA correction via the microscope eyepieces. When those objectives are used on their own, as a lense on a DSLR, significant issues with Chromatic Aberration arise.

Some objectives, such as the finite Nikon CF Plan, BD Plan objectives were designed to correct for CA within the actual objective. These are better suited for use as 'macro' lenses. 'Plan' objectives also provide a more uniform FOV across the entire frame.

Finite microscope objectives have a designated 'tubelength' inscribed on the barrel, for example, 160/- or 210/0. Those numbers (minus 10mm) indicate how far from the sensor or film plane the shoulder of the objective should ideally be located to produce the designated magnification. Finite objectives do not like to be used too far way from their designated magnification.

Various objectives have different thread sizes. Most (but not all) finite objectives have RMS threads.

As far as adapters are concerned for attaching an RMS threaded objective to your Canon DSLR. Here are a few examples of the components. This particular seller provides a good service and stocks many helpful adapters for using microscope objectives for macro photography.

EOS to M42 adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-M42-adap ... 0418311542

RMS to M42:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RMS-Thread-M42-Adap ... 0470968028

RMS Thread to M42 'Cone' Adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RMS-Thread-M42-A ... 0352400700

Also read the discusion:http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=10661

And then there are the infinity-corrected objectives.....stay tuned, I'm sure they will be addressed in Rik's forthcoming FAQ.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

I added a tube stack on the above rig to get it to 150mm

forgot to blow his nose first though

:roll:
Just shoot it......

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

reggy be prepared for very shallow dof...
Just shoot it......

reggy

Post by reggy »

wow thanks for the great info guys, i guess i am going to need a good focus stacking program to get these shots into something i can marvel at :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic