Odd icicles

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Odd icicles

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's been snowy here for the last few days, well below freezing for the first couple of days and then warming to melt some, freeze some.

Of course we developed icicles -- nothing odd about that.

But apparently the temperatures stayed right around freezing for long enough that the icicles evolved in some interesting ways I've not noticed before.

All were focus-stacked, to get enough DOF while keeping the background completely OOF. Shot through windows from inside a nice warm house, so both the icicles and I could be in our natural surroundings. :)

Hope you find these interesting!

--Rik

Technical details: Canon 55-200mm EF USM at 200mm f/5.6 plus Kenko tubes, Canon 300D, Zerene Stacker.

LordV

Post by LordV »

LOvely captures Rick.
Think you often get very odd structures in the ice if it goes though freezing and thawing cycles - it can almost look cellular.
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Rik,

The second one is especially fascinating!

What would happen if you applied cross-polarisation techniques to such a subject.

The only ice/snow I see in my part of Australia, is in the fridge freezer compartment :)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the comments, guys!
Craig Gerard wrote:What would happen if you applied cross-polarisation techniques to such a subject.
I have no idea. I wondered about that too, but it was pretty inaccessible -- hanging a couple of feet outside an upstairs window with no easy way to get a polarizer on the back side.

This sounds like the sort of thing that LordV might have played around with?

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

rjlittlefield wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys!
Craig Gerard wrote:What would happen if you applied cross-polarisation techniques to such a subject.
I have no idea. I wondered about that too, but it was pretty inaccessible -- hanging a couple of feet outside an upstairs window with no easy way to get a polarizer on the back side.

This sounds like the sort of thing that LordV might have played around with?

--Rik
No still haven't got any polarisation sheets. I do try to get a multi coloured object behind ice as it helps accentuate the structures within the ice.
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

LordV wrote:I do try to get a multi coloured object behind ice as it helps accentuate the structures within the ice.
Good point.

I was lucky in this case because in the background were some nice dark trees to make patterns in the ice.

The trick then was to tweak the camera position so the line of sight included only small branches, and to use the widest possible aperture so the background stayed more or less uniform gray. That's where the stacking came in. When I tried getting DOF by stopping down, the background went ugly.

--Rik

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

An easy way to put a LARGE polarizer behind the ice is to have a clear blue sky there that is at right angles to the sun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic