www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Howdy from a newbie
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Howdy from a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptschantz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Howdy from a newbie Reply with quote

in the truest sense. New to the board and photography. In researching starting points I have been absolutely fascinated with macro work. So here I am.

I'll be starting with a 35mm SLR in the next couple weeks, still haven't decided if I'll stick with film (likely) or move to digital. I'm a software developer and wouldn't mind as little computer use off hours as possible ;-)

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'm still reading through a lot of the info here.

Pete
NikonUser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.
Re-think the "stick with film". If you get into macro you will probably get into stacking and you will need to be digital.
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives
ptschantz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I'm rapidly getting the idea that digital is the way to go. I'll at least be able to get a start, until tax time. Plus, I'll have plenty of time to decide on a first digi rig.

thanks!
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting photography with macro is really going in at the deep end. You would benefit, in terms of understanding and skill, by first, or at least concurrently, engaging in more general photography.

When it comes to affordability, if that is an issue, film cameras, lenses and accesssories can be obtained at a tiny fraction of the cost of equivalent digital ones (where those exist). You may also find that there is some difficulty in obtaining recent digital SLRS with features such as an optical viewfinder or a cable release socket.

Harold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: