Fruit fly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tomatito

Fruit fly

Post by Tomatito »

Hello guys

My second upload today because I have just finished it

It is 96 photos together in Zerene (Pmax) and few hours on it in photoeditor afterwards...

The image is cropped maybe 5 percent..

Pau were asking about the microslider from inside so here is photo. I have made it myself in 1 week from parts which I bought on Ebay for approximatelly 30 pounds...and it works very well..The main part is Proxxon precision vice...

fruit fly in compare

Crop from original size

The original size of crop is 768kb so in compare with presented 283kb it is even little bit better and smoother :)

2000 pixels version here

http://tomatito.sk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... fotiek.jpg

Tomas Rak

scitch

Post by scitch »

Welcome, Tomas;

I've seen your collection on flickr before and I'm glad you're here. Great stuff and I know that you'll learn even more here.

I wondered how you go about getting your pictures published. Do you approach them or did they approach you? A lot of the macro photography that I see in magazines, even science and photography magazines, is nowhere near some of the photos that others post on this forum. It would be great to see some of the photos on this forum grace magazine covers. Science Illustrated is one example of a magazine that could use better photos.

Mike

thartl

Post by thartl »

Love the background - what did you use?
Tyler

Still Learning!

morfa

Post by morfa »

Wonderful stack Tomas! Nice to see you here as well – welcome!

Your Lego setup is ingenious. The only downside I see with it is that my son would never be able to keep his hands off it. :)

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

scitch wrote:Welcome, Tomas;

I've seen your collection on flickr before and I'm glad you're here. Great stuff and I know that you'll learn even more here.

I wondered how you go about getting your pictures published. Do you approach them or did they approach you? A lot of the macro photography that I see in magazines, even science and photography magazines, is nowhere near some of the photos that others post on this forum. It would be great to see some of the photos on this forum grace magazine covers. Science Illustrated is one example of a magazine that could use better photos.

Mike
I agree.....I said something very similar in one of my posts here some time ago:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Another beautiful image!

And thank you for detail about the screw positioner.

One question: are the black cords elastic, to remove backlash?

Sorry, two questions...

Second is: how did you hold and illuminate the specimen, to get that lovely backlighting halo?

--Rik

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

rjlittlefield wrote:Another beautiful image!

And thank you for detail about the screw positioner.

One question: are the black cords elastic, to remove backlash?

Sorry, two questions...

Second is: how did you hold and illuminate the specimen, to get that lovely backlighting halo?

--Rik
Hello Rik

yes you are right...there are elastic cords to remove backlash :) one cord is making the opposite tension against the screw..

that Halo efect is is little bit of vinetation and more photoshop..I like it because you are concetrating on the main object than on the empty background...And I am using flowers for background so I am trying many different colours....
Tomas Rak

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the info.

One glitch: I don't recognize the word "vinetation" and Googling it does not help much.

I think maybe it means "vignetting" (using my best detective work, mostly from HERE, combined with Google translation from Slovak).

But that could be way off!

Can you describe what "vinetation" means?

--Rik

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

rjlittlefield wrote:Thanks for the info.

One glitch: I don't recognize the word "vinetation" and Googling it does not help much.

I think maybe it means "vignetting" (using my best detective work, mostly from HERE, combined with Google translation from Slovak).

But that could be way off!

Can you describe what "vinetation" means?

--Rik
:D sorry my english is just very basic... yes I mean vignetting... the darker corners..in my language it is vinetacia..I thought it is similar in english...
Tomas Rak

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Trust me, your English is far above "very basic". There is just some specialized vocabulary to learn. Most native English speakers would have no idea what many of these forum posts are talking about.

One more question, if you don't mind...

I notice that you are shooting very deep stacks -- one at 206 frames in your other thread. And I notice that the "dial" on your screw is not very big, and it has a groove like maybe to work as part of a belt drive. So I wonder, are you turning the screw by hand directly, or does it tie to a different hand crank, or do you have some automation on the screw drive?

--Rik

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

rjlittlefield wrote:Trust me, your English is far above "very basic". There is just some specialized vocabulary to learn. Most native English speakers would have no idea what many of these forum posts are talking about.

One more question, if you don't mind...

I notice that you are shooting very deep stacks -- one at 206 frames in your other thread. And I notice that the "dial" on your screw is not very big, and it has a groove like maybe to work as part of a belt drive. So I wonder, are you turning the screw by hand directly, or does it tie to a different hand crank, or do you have some automation on the screw drive?

--Rik
Yes that yellow part looks like a part of belt drive but it is just coincidence. I used that part just because it was the best lego part for it I had in that time..Yes I am turning it by hand manually and every small turn doing movement maybe 0.01mm ..I never had problem with a wrong stack because of this slider...Actually I am using it just one month..I started with stacking just recently

You can ask any question you want..no problem..that's why we are here on this forum :)
Tomas Rak

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tomatito wrote:Actually I am using it just one month..I started with stacking just recently
From the high quality of your images, one might think you had been at it for ages. I am very happy to see that it's now possible to make such rapid progress. Only a few years ago, making images like these would have been a heroic effort, if possible at all.

--Rik

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Tomatito wrote:Actually I am using it just one month..I started with stacking just recently
From the high quality of your images, one might think you had been at it for ages. I am very happy to see that it's now possible to make such rapid progress. Only a few years ago, making images like these would have been a heroic effort, if possible at all.

--Rik
I will try ti avoid misunderstanding :)

I am doing macro photography probably 6 years..I was already stacking a lot but manually in photoshop from max 11 images...I never had micro rail slider..I have made it for myself just month ago because I bought a micro lens so I am trying stacked macro in automatized stacking program.. :) This is what I meant
Tomas Rak

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Tomatito wrote: ..Yes I am turning it by hand manually and every small turn doing movement maybe 0.01mm ..I never had problem with a wrong stack because of this slider...Actually I am using it just one month..I started with stacking just recently ...
Lovely image, I'm always astonished by the patience of those who create stacks more than 10 or 20 slices deep by hand !
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Eddy Clerx

Post by Eddy Clerx »

[/quote]
Lovely image, I'm always astonished by the patience of those who create stacks more than 10 or 20 slices deep by hand ![/quote]

I Feel complete stupid now, stack 150 by hand :oops: :oops: :oops: The only thing I let happen automaticly is the timer of the camera. Firing 150 shots every 3 seconds I can concentrate on my wheel, turning and turning

Very nice work Tomatito, can you tell what optics you used?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic