Athalia rosae portrait

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tomatito

Athalia rosae portrait

Post by Tomatito »

Hello guys

this is my first post here :)

probably sawfly (Athalia rosae) 163 photos together in Zerene (Pmax) and few hours of work in photo editor aftewards....with crop it is 18:1 magnification

another view

206 photos together in Zerene (Pmax)

Crop from original size

Size of crop is app. 290kb because of file size restrictions, otherwise it is 800 kb so quality is even a bit better.

Crop from another image

My micro setup :)

Microslider is made by myself in one week and I have used a lots of parts I bought on ebay to put it together from proxxon precision vice, screw, lego, lots of epoxide and some another components.. I can do probably 0.01mm steps even smaller I think..

Taken with this lens

Canon 200mm F2.8 L as a correction lens and Carl Zeiss GF Planachromat HD 12,5x/0,25

..the 200mm lens is focused to infinity (and I have now metal reductions so I don't have to use tape anymore and sharpness and chromatic aberation is even much better controlled)

and the sawfly in compare

Last edited by Tomatito on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas Rak

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Wow that's quite a post to announce yourself with :shock: Excellent images and I just love the Lego in your stacking setup.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

A very warm welcome tomatito:

What fantastically detailed shots:

I admire your set-up:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

canonian

Post by canonian »

Great setup, sharp pictures and good lighting
I wonder how you manage to do 0.01mm steps with the Lego thingy.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Excellent pictures and a very interseting setup (I love Lego too!).

I see you are using a Zeiss Jena (East Germany) infinity objective, and I think it's the first time here. As you surely know the most popular is the Nikon CFI 10 0.25 (and some Nikon CFs), and there are some posts about Mitutoyo.

What magnification are you obtaining with the 200mm lens as tube lens?. Do you need to correct in post processing for lateral chromatic aberrations?. What kind of micrometer is hidden in the lego box?
Pau

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Tomatito, welcome to the forum.

I also like your creative use of Legos, here.

And I definitely recognize some of your other components---the ZigView finder unit attached to the camera eyepiece (I have the older one-piece unit for my Nikon D200). And good choice on the Yongnuo wireless flash trigger system in your hot shoe (transmitter) and flashes (receivers). I think that is the best Chinese made system available, especially considering the <$35 price for the pair (one transmitter and one receiver).

The Carl Zeiss GF Planachromat objective you used is not widely described on the forum, but is clearly capable of yielding good results! 8)
Bob in Orange County, CA

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tomatito, welcome aboard! Let me add my congratulations for "Most Impressive First Posting".

Those deep stacks are beautifully done -- "music to my eyes" if you'll accept the mixed metaphor as a compliment. I'm the fellow who wrote Zerene Stacker so I greatly appreciate seeing it used this well.

The setup looks great. This is the first I have heard of the ZigView remote digital viewfinder (and controller). Now that I know it exists, I see that it's conveniently available through Amazon. Most appreciated!

--Rik

Tomatito

Pau and Bob^3

Post by Tomatito »

Pau

Yes I heard that nikon is probably the best in micro lenses and has ELWD lenses which are very good and very expensive as well..

I bought this Carl Zeiss because I had a good oportunity to buy it..it is GF it means I can use it for full frame camera as well.. and in combination with 200mm L lens it is absolutely excelent..sharp everywhere, absolutely amazing magnification and sharpness that I can't imagine better sharpness..

I can't tell what is a magnification right now because I didn't measure it but I will tell you later..

honestly I know just ordinary aberation that purple annoying staff in the photos, I don't know exactly what is lateral chromatic aberation..but when I am using 200mm lens I have definitely much less aberation if any...

the main part of microslider is ordinary small screw with small thread... I can post photo how it looks iside next time...

Bob^3

Yes it is zigview I am using it with canon 5D because it doesn't have liveview ..and I am using it like a remote shutter as well...yongnuo is excelent..I would recomend to everyone who doesn't need Ettl triggers...
Tomas Rak

Tomatito

rjlittlefield

Post by Tomatito »

Thank you very much :) You wrote a Zerene?? so big congratulations ..because I think Zerene is the best stacking program so far...I was using a helicon focus little bit but it is far away from zerene..it has some aura's problems and I hate it... Great job !!! :) keep doing it...
Tomas Rak

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Tomatito wrote:Yes it is zigview I am using it with canon 5D because it doesn't have liveview ..and I am using it like a remote shutter as well...yongnuo is excelent..I would recomend to everyone who doesn't need Ettl triggers...
See thread here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 1132#71132
Bob in Orange County, CA

Marpee

Post by Marpee »

Hi Tomatito,
I've already appreciated this great result on Flickr and it's a pleasure to see it here. Could you post a photo of the objective, please? Standard Zeiss objectives, that are not marked "GF" may cause vignetting on full-frame camera?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Lovely captures of the subject and very harmonious backgrounds.

I can't wait to see more of your images here.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Tomas,

Wonderful images! And fancy setup. LEGO is in all our hearts....:-)
I have two questions:

1. I understand that the Proxon provides the lineair slide. But how do you prevent the screw having backlash....is it by having the two nuts away from eachother?

2. How do you get that nice background?

Regards,
Barry

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

Marpee wrote:Hi Tomatito,
I've already appreciated this great result on Flickr and it's a pleasure to see it here. Could you post a photo of the objective, please? Standard Zeiss objectives, that are not marked "GF" may cause vignetting on full-frame camera?
Hello Marpee..honestly I don't have that much experience..I just heard that GF are for fullframes so I bought GF lens :) now because I am usually using it on 40D which is Crop so I decided to buy just planachromat HD without GF with 30mm thread so I am looking forward to try it with 40D and 5D as well and I can tell you what are the results...

I will post the photo of the lens for you next time :)
Tomas Rak

Tomatito

Post by Tomatito »

Barry wrote:Hi Tomas,

Wonderful images! And fancy setup. LEGO is in all our hearts....:-)
I have two questions:

1. I understand that the Proxon provides the lineair slide. But how do you prevent the screw having backlash....is it by having the two nuts away from eachother?

2. How do you get that nice background?

Regards,
Barry
Thank you Barry

The screw has a three nuts...one very important nut is glued with that orange lego part in the middle, there is no thread. It keeps the end of the screw in exact position...

I am using flowers for background and of course a bit photoshop :)
Tomas Rak

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic