Experimental macroscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Experimental macroscope

Post by gpmatthews »

You may have seen the recent articles in Micscape on The Poor Man's Photomacroscope (see http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... scope.html).

I thought this approach might be worth exploring. CactusDave had some spare lenses and an old microscope stand and I had a spare trinocular head, so here are the first results:

This is the experimental macroscope which matches a Zeiss trinocular head with a reversed Pentacon 50 mm, extension ring and DOI HQ teleconverter (the latter to reduce the magnification).

To enable me to use the unmarked focus control, I stuck on a degree scale and used a miniature video camera and TV thus giving a scale suitable for measuring steps for stacking.

Finally, here is a test image of an old hoverfly sample. Lighting was from a microscope lamp and used an old weighing boat as diffuser. You can see this in the first and second photos above. I have also fitted an LED ringlight on the end of the lens assembly, but this was not used in these tests, as although it is great for manual observation, it is not so good for photos (needs a diffuser).

Here it is in action:

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Graham,

Excellent projects, both this one and the gizmo outlined in the Micscape article. :)

Using the teleconverter to reduce magnification; this sounds similar to the method some members (and others) have been implementing with the Canon MP-E 65mm.
Graham wrote:first results
I look forward to more reports/results :)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Excellent Graham. I particularly loved the camera and mini-TV system for measuring focusing steps. Move over Wallace and Gromit! :lol:
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Looks interesting. I'm not sure that your teleconverter is the best you can use. Perhaps you have other plans for your final setup. I used such third party TCs in my early days of photography but Tamron SP are now the only ones I would consider. Perhaps it is not a significant issue as you are reducing magnification in this instance, not something I have tried.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Rube Goldberg would be proud of that. I love the knob measuring device. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic