Black and White Moth

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Black and White Moth

Post by scitch »

This is one of the subjects that my daughter will use for her science fair project, so it's important that we get a good enough ID to determine the type of ecosystem that it lives in.

The subject is around 3 cm across, black and white with orange spots on the side of its head. This is a stack of about 10 images taken with the OEM Sony Alpha lens reversed. Lighting consisted of an external flash through tissue paper diffuser (from the right side of the image), on-camera flash with tissue diffuser (straight down on subject), and tabletop illuminator flashed on-and-off quickly through a tissue paper diffuser (from the left of the image giving the left side a slightly yellow appearance.

First is an image of most of the body. This is followed by a crop of that image of the head and shoulders.

The feathery antennae means that it's a moth, correct?

Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, it's a moth.

Can you show us a whole wing, please?

Where, when, and how was the specimen collected?

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I believe it's a Tiger Moth:
Gnophaela vermiculata or something very close
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Good catch. I was thinking perhaps one of the Foresters, but I couldn't get the details to match up. Gnophaela vermiculata looks perfect.

--Rik

scitch

Post by scitch »

Thanks. It was caught with a butterfly net in a baseball park in Menifee in Southern California. I'll look into the tiger moth and will try to post a picture of the wings soon.

Mike

scitch

Post by scitch »

Rik, I hadn't seen your ID yet. That looks about right, but I'm not within the range on that map. There was some debate about where we got it. It's possible that it was on our way to Yellowstone. It does look very similar.

Here's a better picture and a few other low-quality pictures that I hope are good enough for an ID.

#1 is the black and white moth from before (the left wing is folded over at the end)
#2 is a grasshopper that looked like a butterfly while flying and was more yellow before it dried out (I'll post pictures of its face separately)
#3 is a butterfly (skipper? I still can't tell the difference) with some mold from when I was trying to loosen its appendages
#4 is a moth with a strange structure on the back of its neck

Where do you go to find IDs on this type of specimen? I've seen sites for diptera, but not moths and butterflies.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic