Humorous

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Humorous

Post by Moebius »

I had told one of my fellow macro photographers to send me one of his RAW pics and I would give him a few pointers on post-processing the pic. Well, he decided to be a wiseass and sent me one that was totally dark that was named "Ants" and told me to work my magic.

Not wanting the joke to end there, I responded with the following:

Ok, attached is what I could do with it. It was a little dark, but I did the best I could. If you don't mind some criticism, I have a few comments on the pic:

1) Could not get rid of the harsh glare on the far left red ant's abdomen
2) Too bad the lower black ant's antennae and legs got cut off by the leaf. Also, I did not know if you wanted me to remove that stick going across the ant as well. I think it adds some texture to the pic, but up to you.
3) I don't know if it is to apparent from the edit, but the lower red ant is woefully out of focus
4) I don't know if you realized it when you took the pic, but as a bonus I believe the upper right black ant has a few red parasites..I think they are in focus too...good job!!
5) Outstanding bokeh!!!

Other than these few things, it looks to be a classic pic of the red ants meeting the black ants.

Ken Nelson

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Cute--I peeked at this on my work monitor, and the Out of Focus "ant" flickered bizarrely when I scrolled this picture up and down. Now at home, it looks quite mundane and normal. Guess my CPU and graphics card at work aren't up to snuff, huh? :-)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

twebster

Post by twebster »

This is just too funny, Ken :!: :smt046
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

salden

Post by salden »

Mike B in OKlahoma wrote:Cute--I peeked at this on my work monitor, and the Out of Focus "ant" flickered bizarrely when I scrolled this picture up and down. Now at home, it looks quite mundane and normal. Guess my CPU and graphics card at work aren't up to snuff, huh? :-)
Yep it flickered :lol: . Good one.
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great payback Ken...love it :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Kite

Post by Kite »

nice, I do think you could have had a higher contrast though :P
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

twebster

Post by twebster »

nice, I do think you could have had a higher contrast though
Perhaps this was made using darkfield illumination :?: :-k
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Kite

Post by Kite »

mmmm, may be the case. I think he should just use a bit of photoshop knowhow and fix it :D

/me ponders use of BIG MASSIVE darkfeild condensers for use in macro photography....
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic