Help!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Help!

Post by scitch »

I received what was supposed to be some microscopes to give to teachers today, but it turned out to be a pile of microscope parts. I think that I can get at least one working scope out of the pile, but the other one is missing the binocular head. There are also a lot of power supplies, rails, lights, and objects that I actually have absolutely no idea what they are (reminder: I know nothing about microscopes).

I took pictures of most of the objects from multiple angles. There were far to many to post here, so I put them on my own website. http://scienceinquirer.wikispaces.com/MicroParts

I would GREATLY appreciate any help that you could give me in setting up at least one of these scopes and possibly finding a head for the other one. I can take the objectives out of the headless Laborlux scope and put them in the Balplan scope, but I still cannot seem to see anything. I just got them tonight, but have not had time to play with them much. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken in a dark room with popup flash. I fixed them up as best as I could.

I also got a device that I have never seen before. It is a Kramer Scientific Corporation XM160 Projecting microscope that apparently goes along with the Laborlux to project the image up to 20 feet. It is gigantic and heavy and I have no idea how to connect the two. Any ideas? All of the information that I have about it came from here: http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/1 ... 29289.html

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'd appreciate it greatly.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Nice piles of goodies there.

It does not appear to me that you have enough stuff to put together a proper scope. You have parts of a Bausch and Lomb Balplan scope which was one of their last hurrah attempts at a research grade scope before they gave up that business.

You also have have a partial Leitz Laborlux which is a routine pathology lab type scope.

You have some pieces of a boom stand for a stereo scope

And a bunch of power supplies.

You could sell them on ebay and buy a complete scope That would ultimately be easier on your hide.

Gene

scitch

Post by scitch »

Thanks, Gene. What's missing from the Bausch and Lomb scope?
I thought about the ebay idea too, but I'll have to get permission first. Here's the problem: the person bought them because he had a fatal disease and didn't trust his doctors. So he used them and a centrifuge (not pictured) to analyze his own blood. Before he died, he gave them to his friend with the wish that he donate them to a school. And so I offered to get them to a school not knowing that they were in this condition. So, if he translates his deceased friend's wishes as these scopes ending up in a school, then we may have a problem.
BTW, it was not a contagious disease.

Mike

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I wonder if he was able to really tell anything about his blood.

It takes years of schooling to do even a basic blood count.

There is a "live cell analysis" that is promoted by charlatans and of course some microscope sales types have glommed onto it in the interest of selling scopes.

I find such alternative health notions insulting to those who underwent the discipline and schooling of becoming certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists. A process that takes at least five years.

I am not saying your friend subscribed to the live cell analysis. He may have learned some particular procedures that related to his condition.

I think you would have better luck restoring the Leitz LaborLux because there is more of that stuff available.

Gene

scitch

Post by scitch »

Right, Gene. Not to be mean or anything, but apparently the doctor was right about his condition. Just to clarify, he wasn't my friend. He was the friend of the guy who gave me the microscope parts (who I had never met before he contacted me to give me the parts). What's really sad is that he had mesothelioma, not a blood disease at all. There are blood tests being developed for the disease, but not optical.

I found out that the Leitz is intended to go on the Kramer Scientific Projector. See the picture here: http://www.gsisinc.com/posecom/products ... Projection. But it's missing the adapter at the top to project onto a wall. And the plate to attach the microscope to the projector is missing too. So, I can't even do that.

I might ask if I can just sell the objectives on ebay and buy a cheap microscope for a teacher. It would be a lot of work, but it'd be worth it. A couple of the objectives don't look like what came with the scopes. One is a Carl Zeiss Neofluar 100/1.30 Oel. I think the others are all Bausch and Lomb Planachromatics. One is flat field 4X.

Mike

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Mike,

If you would like, I'll come over and take a look at what you've got, and try to figure out what can be done with the pile, and what we'll have to find to make it work (presuming of course its' possible 8) ). Email me and we'll set something up.

Over the summer I've managed to acquire 5 Olympus BH-2s with teaching heads for school demos. Depending on what you want to do, we should be able to work something out where I can help a bit in the classroom.

Tom

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The XM 160 is a xenon arc projector light source that you sit a microscope on and then over a projective ocular you put a right angle mirror or prism to through the image onto a screen. About two to three feet in diameter is about how big the image should be before empty magnification sets in.

If the lamp lights then it might be worthwhile to set a scope onto it and to find a projective ocular and mirror or prism. I think I may have a Leitz prism and projective somewhere. If you want to try it I would pass it along to you for whatever ebay price I paid for it.

You can try the whole idea out with a regular ocular preferably lower mag like 5x and a first surface mirror which you might be able to get at a car junk yard from an outside mirror.

scitch

Post by scitch »

Thanks, Tom. I'll email you some possible dates.

G4, it lights up. But whatever plate is used to connect the scope to the projector is missing as well as the tube on top. I tried projecting it straight up to the ceiling after removing the base from the laborlux and setting it on top. But without a connection to the projector, I couldn't get it to focus on anything.

Thanks to all for the advice, I think the best idea is to meet Tom in person. I figure he owes me one for getting me hooked on this stuff anyhow ;-) LOL

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Getting you hooked??

:D :D :D :D :D

Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic