Wiffle and Nässjö in perfect harmony

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

Wiffle and Nässjö in perfect harmony

Post by elf »

The Nässjö is sitting on an extension ring. The inside diameter of 56mm seems to work well. I looked at the Rönås, but it would use up a lot of vertical space. The weight of the Nässjö holds it in place nicely, so the base really doesn't need to be heavy.

The bottom of the Nässjö is about 6mm thick and is made of steel. I drilled and tapped a hole in it to fit a .375 inch threaded rod which in turn has a .1875 hole drilled almost to the bottom of the rod. The rod is about 2 inches long. If I want to use the other end of the Nässjö, I can replace the threaded rod with a short set screw. I think for insects, a cork and a pin in the candle holder and no extra weight would be more than adequate.

I've sanded the Nässjö to prepare it for a coat of flat black paint.

The weight of the Nässjö is about 210 grams. It was not enough to hold the flower horizontal. I robbed some of the steel balls from the wiffle to bring the weight up to 500 grams. This seems to work OK, but I'll add more later.

I think the Wiffle ball and the Nässjö both work quite well. Both are pretty easy to modify for our purposes. The Nässjö wins in the looks department and is easier to add different subject holders/clamps, etc. The Wiffle ball is less than half the price of the Nässjö, $1.49 vs. $3.99. So if you're on a really tight budget, get the Wiffle ball, otherwise, the Nässjö would be the best choice :)

elf

Post by elf »

Here's the Nässjö in action:

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Elf,

Very nice!

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic