Bioluminescence

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Bioluminescence

Post by Ken Ramos »

Boys...gotta tell ya, I had to look that word up! :shock: Anyway down here in the south we call'em "lightnun bugs" and I just happened to find this one resting on some ragweed at the edge of the yard. :D

EOS 20D
1/250 @ f/6.3 ISO 400
430EX Canon Speedlite (-1/3)
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Canon Macro USM

Yeah I know, the tail is a little hot but I planned it that away. :roll: Well it is a "lightnun bug" after all. :lol:

EOS 20D
1/250 sec. @ f/6.3 ISO 100
430EX Canon Speedlite (-1/3)
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Canon Macro USM

...and here we are with the lights off. :lol:

salden

Post by salden »

Yep, I have these guys. I remember as kids, we would remove those lights and rub them on your clothes so we would glow...., that was before we knew bugs had feelings and stuff :cry:
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I have never considered a bugs feelings but I do suppose they can feel pain. :-k I remember a long time ago, I was told not to catch them and I used to get mayonnasie jars full of these things but I was told that they gave you cancer! Now that was many years ago and everyone still believed in UFO's and you could get a burger and fries at a Crystal for a quarter. Now what does Crystals burgers and fries have to do with lighting bugs giving one cancer and people believing in UFO's? I'm not fibb'n about the quarter. :lol:

salden

Post by salden »

The penny burgers I think were 19 cents, then went for 5 for a dollar.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I remember the 10 for a dollar burgers and then when they went to 5 for a dollar, I was stationed in Jacksonville Fla. at the time. What a "burg!" :(

salden

Post by salden »

I went to high school at Jacksonville Beach :lol:
Sue Alden

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very nice find Ken and great photos. Did you have any "White Castle" hambergers around? We had them in NY.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Good find--I used to see these a lot, even in our suburban backyard, as a kid, but almost never see them nowadays.

I've heard of White Castle, but never had one of their burgers. They aren't in OKlahoma, and I never seem to see their stores when I travel.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Doug and Mike. :D Yeah I have eaten at a number of White Castles, Doug and have always enjoyed them. The last one I can remember was in Norflok Va. The thing was always croweded so managment must have been good there, along with the food. :wink: I think most of the White Castles are gone now Mike, that might be the reason you have not seen one around. The big fast food giants have killed out all the good places we used to have for a quick meal. :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic