Unusual, rare scarab beetle

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Eric F

Unusual, rare scarab beetle

Post by Eric F »

This is Attavicinus monstrosus, a very uncommon scarab beetle known from a small geographical area near Guadalajara, Mexico. These beetles live only in the nests of the leaf-cutting ant Atta mexicana, where they probably feed on detritus, as well as the fungus that the Atta ants cultivate as their own food. This is a male beetle, 23mm long. [Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 60mm, 39 images @ 0.5mm, ZS]

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

What a weird beastie........it looks just like something from Star-Wars:

You have recorded wonderful detail here:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a wonderful beetle!

At this size, I am getting the impression of slight streakiness on the animal's front and rear. It looks almost like motion blur but seems more likely to be something related to either the angle of the hairs or to some sort of stacking artifact, perhaps due to changes in lens position while shooting. Is the full size image clean, or does it show some streakiness also?

--Rik

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Thanks sonyalpha & Rik. This is truly a marvelous beetle -- so unique that the genus Attavicinus was described just a few years ago to contain this single species, monstrosus. For many decades, the beetle was included in a fairly large genus called Liatongus; originally, 120 years ago, it was described as an Oniticellus -- by Henry Walter Bates (the famous naturalist who explored the Amazon).

Rik -- the bands I believe you refer to are caused by dense hairs seen on edge, as the front of the prothorax of monstrosus (above the front legs) is massive and mostly vertical (about 1.5 X as broad as the abdomen). The fringe of long hairs at the summit of the vertical lobes on the prothorax are possibly trichomes (hairs associated with glands that secrete chemicals that are attractive to ants -- which many myrmecophilous [ant-loving] beetles have).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Eric, thanks for the additional information. I'm not sure that you and I are talking about the same areas, but it's a subtle thing and I'll happily settle for knowing that the image looks clean at actual pixels. I think the first area that caught my attention was near the elytra ends, say at Photoshop coordinates x=582,y=180. Other areas are on top of the head at 91,320; on the top of the prothorax at 189,257; and on the leading edge of the prothorax lobe at 192,201.

--Rik

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Rik, thanks for the coordinates. Looking at my large images, I believe those areas are clear of streaks and artifacts. For example, what looks to be a misalignment of the elytral seam (above the mid tarsus that overlaps the elytron) is actually a region where the hairs on the elytron are abruptly longer and denser. I think the apparent streaks are natural variations in hair structure.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great to hear.

BTW, what did you use for a background on this beast? He seems to be flying unsupported over a sea of lightforms.

--Rik

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

It's on an insect pin -- which has been cloned away (I collected this specimen about 20 years ago). It is suspended above a magazine photo of an avocado & peach salad!

Eric

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Eric F wrote:It is suspended above a magazine photo of an avocado & peach salad!
Why do I have the feeling I just heard a memorable quote?? :lol:

You have good eyes, my friend!

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Amazing insect, beautifully photographed!

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Charles -- thanks very much!

Eric

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

:)
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Nice one Eric,

Reminds of Dr Who zooming through time and space with that background. I can almost hear the theme music :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mxHe8T_ ... re=related

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

seta666

Post by seta666 »

An amaizing picture, I loved the idea of using a magazine as background, very clever and suits it very well
Regards

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic