a protozoon from the "Radiolaria"

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

a protozoon from the "Radiolaria"

Post by Franz Neidl »

This is a protozoon from the "Radiolaria" (I dont know if from the Polycystinea or from the Phaeodarea). The diameter was 170 µm (together with the spicules).

Phase contrast, Obj. 20x, projection eyepiece 2,5x, crop, a Zerenestack with 6 pictures.

Franz

Ernst Hippe

Post by Ernst Hippe »

Hallo Franz,

it is such a rare occasion to see a radiolarian alive - instead of the skeleton only! So many thanks for the excellent shot.

Ernst Hippe

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Wow! :D

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Franz,

Very nice!

Rogelio

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Ernst Hippe wrote:it is such a rare occasion to see a radiolarian alive - instead of the skeleton only! So many thanks for the excellent shot.
Radiolarian chert is a common bedrock here, would that include skeletons of these creatures worth viewing or will it be too metamorphosed?

BJ

Post by BJ »

Franz e Paul:

Hi Franz,
I still take the opportunity to look at your wonderful photos when I can, but i do not get the time to comment so often, but this one demands attention !
A beautiful photo !
As Ernst says, so rare to see a photo of a live radiolarian - thank you!

Paul,
theoretically your cherts will be full of Radiolaria, but as you surmise they will be difficult to extract. Pure cherts are hard (often used to make stone tools, arrowheads etc). In the process of formation most of the radiolaria, diatoms, sponge spicules etc will have been transformed to quartz. Those that remain will be difficult to extract. Extraction involves dissolving them out with hydrofluoric acid....perhaps the nastiest acid going and definitely not one I would use outside a well equipped laboratory.
However, one of the classic sites for fossil radiolaria is the cretaceous of Mitchell Creek which I think is not a million miles from San Francisco. Over 100 species have been described from here in a limestone deposit. (I am sure that an internet search will get you the details). It should be a lot easier to extract radiolaria from LS using hydrochloric acid...or perhaps even vinegar. Easier still is to buy a small vial of material from a scientific suppliers !...these seem to contain a good variety of Radiolaria. Good hunting!

thank you again Franz
Brian

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Hi Franz--

I agree with Brian and Ernst, this is great, its the first time I have ever seen a living radiolarian.

--David

La prossima volta sono in Salerno, porterò il mio microscopio portatile

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,

As with some of the others here, I've enjoyed looking at fossil radiolaria but have never seen one "live".
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic