Quick Stack

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Quick Stack

Post by scitch »

Here's a quick stack that I did tonight of a bug that I caught on the car windshield. The only Ziploc bag I had was holding a piece of pizza. So, the oil from the pizza gave the wings cool rainbow colors. It's not aberration, the wings actually looked like that. I, personally, had never seen wings with scales on them, but there they are.

First is just a picture of the whole insect so you can identify what type it is. It was done under a binocular scope at about 30X The whole insect is only a few mm. It is one pic, not a stack.

Second is its eye at 100X under a compound microscope. It's a stack of about 30 images.

Third is its wing at 100X under a compound microscope. I tried several different methods of lighting. I think this one was lit from above with the halogen light from the stereo scope. It's a stack of 6 images.

Hmm . . . like one of the other people, I was unable to upload pictures to the forum. Follwed the same procedure as always, but the screen to send "standard" never came up. I did it in Firefox and IE. I'll try again tomorrow.

scitch

Post by scitch »

OK, here's another try:

It appears to have worked this time.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's a little hard to tell through the pizza oil, but I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that you have a small moth. There are a quite a few "microlepidoptera" that are only a few mm long and have long legs, long thin antennae, and narrow wings covered with scales. Can't think of anything else that fits the "wings covered with scales" part.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic