1st attempts at stacking

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

homestar455

1st attempts at stacking

Post by homestar455 »

Ok, so I've been messing around with focus stacking for a long while, but here are the first photos I feel are worth sharing.
Captured with my lumix and Raynox DCR-250 macro, then stacked in CombineZP

Click the thumb for full size:
Desert Heron's Bill

I believe this damselfly is a Circumpolar Bluet.

As always, feedback of any kind would be greatly appreciated. :)

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

I really like the Geranium. Well done.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Odd, I must have missed seeing these earlier. :?

The stacks look clean --- no halos, echos, blotches, or any of the other defects that I always look for. In fact on quick study I don't see any artifacts at all. Nicely done!
I've been messing around with focus stacking for a long while, but here are the first photos I feel are worth sharing.
For the benefit of others, can you summarize what difficulties you have run into, and how you overcame them?

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Thanks Paul. I've got to admit, I'm kinda proud of that shot.

Thank you Rik, glad they're able to fool you. ;P
Actually I doubt you'll be able to find any artifacts in the Erodium; that thing came out almost perfectly clean straight out of CZP. As for the damselfly, I went to town in GIMP getting rid of (or at least hiding) all of what you mentioned.

Well the main problem that needed overcoming in my case was finding a proper subject and getting a proper composition. That's really the area I need the most practice and training...
Other than that I've come to realize that with CombineZP there is little to no forgiveness for movement between frames, so I overcame that by getting a mini tripod with flexible rubber legs. Which has become an indispensable part of my macro kit.
Also, I tend to go through in GIMP and use the smudge tool to smooth out any "blotching" by hand... Really there's not a whole lot to say about how I've overcome those problems, because I'm still trying to figure that out as I go.

Oh, btw, from what I've seen messing around with the trial, Zerene Stacker is a far superior program. I just don't have the money to buy it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic