Using two phones to capture a dime!!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Using two phones to capture a dime!!

Post by Cyclops »

Experimenting using two phones, one as the camera, the other as a light source!
Sounds complicated, and it really is!
Have to hold one camera over the eyepiece and the other at the other end. Need an extra two arms!

4X obj, 10X eyepiece

and the coin in my collection!(I sometimes find foreign coins and then bring them home!)

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi Cyclops,

It's a very different subject to your dead fly posting (levels and dof particularly) so not that straightforward to compare. However it seems to me that the results with the extra lighting are very much better - in fact quite extraordinary considering that both camera and light source were hand held. Well done!

Bruce

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I wont be doing this too often, not unless I can grow an extra hand or two!

Interestingly both phones are similar but the new one, which I originally decided to use as the camera,took really poor pics. Even at the 2MP setting the pics looked like a mosaic, you know when you can se the pixels on an image thats blown up too muc. So I went back to old faithful W800i and used the new one as the light, much better!

The phones use LEDS as a light source and Ive seen some mention of LED light sources on the net.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

very fine job Cyclops...the second one is very well lit. Looks like you captured a sperm cell in the first one :D
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

beetleman wrote:very fine job Cyclops...the second one is very well lit. Looks like you captured a sperm cell in the first one :D
Yea it does a little!
Im not too familiar with US coins but the inscription sounds familiar, any idea know what it means?

E.PluRib Usuunum

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops wrote:Im not too familiar with US coins but the inscription sounds familiar, any idea know what it means?

E.PluRib Usuunum
"E pluribus unum" -- "Out of many, one".

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_pluribus_unum or Google for the phrase.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
Looks like you captured a sperm cell in the first one
:shock: Eeewwww! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic