Slime Molds, did you know...

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Slime Molds, did you know...

Post by Ken Ramos »

that they have been used in the application of making video games! :o Read about it here , last paragraph at the bottom of the page. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm... I remember reading flock-of-bird equations when they were first published, about 30 years ago, and it's odd but I can't recall a thing about slime molds in those articles. Ah well, I forget so much these days... :?

However, I have no doubt that the equations are the same, and the story does make a nice position of prominence for the myxo's, even if it is a bit apocryphal. :lol:

--Rik

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

That would explain my son's bedroom... it must have escaped!
Bill

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I did a bit more tracking down, and it seems that the story is correct. See http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.c ... 897&agid=2 , which says that Segel and Keller published a seminal paper on modeling slime mold in 1969. That would be just a few years before I first saw flock-of-birds animation at a SIGGRAPH conference.

Cool! I can hardly wait to tell my gaming friends about some of the origins of their amusement. 8)

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very informative piece there Rik, a very good and interesting read indeed. :D That really makes my interest in these creatures to grow even more. To think something like the lowely slime mold may hold a myrid of technological possibilites for the future. Biomathmatics, never realized such a thing existed but then again... :-k :D I never have been good at math...of any kind :( .

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I remember reading about the bird stuff around 1977 or so...Interesting that it applies to other things as well.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

isn't it essentially "game of life" type equations which should work in this case.
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic