Ant, Iris, Beetle. Test of Mitutoyo 10X

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Ant, Iris, Beetle. Test of Mitutoyo 10X

Post by Charles Krebs »

Set up a Mitutoyo BD 10/0.28 Plan Apo with 150mm and a 240mm tube lenses. So I am trying it out at 7.5X and 12X.

These are my first "subjects". The ant was photographed at 7.5X, but this is a (squarish) vertical cropped from a horizontal shot. The leg joint of the jewel beetle (Chrysochroa rajah thailandica) was at 12X. The iris anther was at 7.5X.

pierre

Post by pierre »

Nice result Charles !!

Cheers,
Pierre
Regards

Pierre

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Maybe it is my screen but there seems to be a touch of softness which is very pleasing.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The over all color ambience on that first one gives it a portraiture quality that almost makes the ant seem , well likable. (even though she would probably eat us , were she big enough :lol: )

Joaquim F.

Re: Ant, Iris, Beetle. Test of Mitutoyo 10X

Post by Joaquim F. »

Beautiful examples of the infinity system possibilities!
Charles Krebs wrote:Set up a Mitutoyo BD 10/0.28 Plan Apo with 150mm and a 240mm tube lenses
Mitutoyo APOs, really top models in infinity microscope optics! Please can you give details about the tube lenses?
Charles Krebs wrote:These are my first "subjects". The ant was photographed at 7.5X, but this is a (squarish) vertical cropped from a horizontal shot. The leg joint of the jewel beetle (Chrysochroa rajah thailandica) was at 12X. The iris anther was at 7.5X.
For me the necessity of different focal for each magnification is one of the greatest inconveniences of the infinity system, a lot of optics and distances changes for a specific magnification...

Cheers

Joaquim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Joaquim,
Please can you give details about the tube lenses?

For me the necessity of different focal for each magnification is one of the greatest inconveniences of the infinity system, a lot of optics and distances changes for a specific magnification...
The 150/9 is an Rodenstock Apo Gerogon, the 240/9 is a Beseler Apo HD (which is actually a 240/9 Rodenstock Apo Gerogon). These are "short mount" and need to be used on a bellows. The magnification can be changed by varying the extension, but so far I have only used them at "infinity". I'll need to do some careful comparisons to see what happens to the image quality as the bellows extension is changed. (I'll take a picture or two and post it over in the "equipment" section if you are interested in seeing it set up).

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

Charles Krebs wrote: (I'll take a picture or two and post it over in the "equipment" section if you are interested in seeing it set up).
Of course, I always learn interesting things watching your setups!
I try to make some picture to the Raynox setup too, the plastic mount is not very rigid :roll: ... but mounted in the rear 52mm screw cause no problems.

Cheers

Joaquim

svalley

Post by svalley »

Charlie, great shots. You make the simplest things into true art.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Stunning images! Thank you.

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Charles,

These are certainly superb, especially the beetle and iris.

Thanks for inspiring me to continue trying.

Roy

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Charlie wrote:The 150/9 is an Rodenstock Apo Gerogon, the 240/9 is a Beseler Apo HD (which is actually a 240/9 Rodenstock Apo Gerogon). These are "short mount" and need to be used on a bellows. The magnification can be changed by varying the extension, but so far I have only used them at "infinity". I'll need to do some careful comparisons to see what happens to the image quality as the bellows extension is changed. (I'll take a picture or two and post it over in the "equipment" section if you are interested in seeing it set up).

Charlie,
Did you post some images of this configeration at some time?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

Charles, is this one you've tested here?

http://www.labx.com/v2/spiderdealer2/vi ... id=6858553

I bought one and was shocked when I saw its huge size and the 40mm thread. How did you attach to the tube lens and which lens you have used?

Thanks! Nikola

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Craig,
Did you post some images of this configeration at some time?
.. no, never did. But with the recent interest in these infinity optics, and now Nikola's question, I'll try to get a few shots posted over in the "hardware" sections. I will add a message here when this is done and where it is posted.

Nikola
I bought one and was shocked when I saw its huge size and the 40mm thread. How did you attach to the tube lens and which lens you have used?
Yes, that is the objective. This turned out to be one of those rare, but nice coincidences. I use some old Ihagee Exakta microscope attachments. Part of these have the same threads as the tubes used in Ihagee Exakta extension tubes... M40 x 0.75. These BD Mitutoyo objectives screw directly into those tubes. (You can see what they look like at eBay# 120329805269). Be sure to get the original German-made Ihagee tubes. Some of the similar looking extension tubes that were made by other companies (for Exakta cameras) used a slightly different thread). The extension tube set consists of three threaded tubes (M40 x 0.75) and male and female Exakta bayonet attachments that fit on the ends. I also discovered that the Nikon tube lens, if "shimmed" a little bit, fit very nicely inside one of he larger tubes. I'll try to get a few pictures later today or tomorrow to show exactly how it was all put together.

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

Many thanks Charles, looking forward those pictures of the gadgets together!

eurythyrea

Post by eurythyrea »

Charles, I found today that Ihagee gadget here in Hungary, I'll show a photo of it soon. I could attach the Mitu BD to the telephoto zoom lens, but the shot on 200mm/infinity was even vignetted. How many mm is the needful distance between the telephoto (tube lens) front lens and the Mitutoyo thread?

Nikola

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic