3x with Oly 20/2, 38/2.8 & 21/3.5 JML

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

PaulFurman

3x with Oly 20/2, 38/2.8 & 21/3.5 JML

Post by PaulFurman »

First test of the 21mm JML. The 100% crops below link to 12MP originals 24x36 sensor. Things moved when changing lenses. The 20mm has a bright background and otherwise messed up a little somehow. They are all heavily sharpened with a minimal size 0.5px radius. 2 seconds with tissue diffuser, the 20mm was darkened in post.

38mm f/2.8 Olympus

21mm f/3.5 JML

20 f/2 Olympus

Bob^3

Post by Bob^3 »

Thanks for the comparison, Paul. Looks like the JML holds up pretty well for corner sharpness (based on lower right corner) at 3x on the D700 FX sensor. It’s a bit difficult to compare with the two Oly’s due to the changed positions and (stacking?) artifacts. But if I remember correctly, this is a little below the optimum magnification range of the Oly 20mm/2.
Bob in Orange County, CA

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I agree -- the JML seems to be holding up fine, and there do appear to be stacking artifacts. I am seeing what look like streaks and echos that I would guess are due to alignment issues caused by changes in entrance pupil position.

What are the subjects?

--Rik

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

The subject is a fern leaf, see Cheillanthes covelii - Lip Fern (a dryland adaptation) for an overview. Yes the 20mm probably should be stopped down at this magnification. I had them all mounted with extension tubes to get closer than the bellows easily allows.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic