B&L Microscope Qusetions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bill D

B&L Microscope Qusetions

Post by Bill D »

Hi. This is my first post here. I hope to learn microphotography. I purchased a used, med school, surplus microscope this past weekend. It is a Bausch & Lomb. The light source is incandescent, eyepiece tube is 23mm. It is in very good condition, no missing parts, and everything works.

Could somebody help me identify about when it was made, and possibly what model number it is? Besides being curious, it will help when I need to get another buld. There are two numbers on the bottom. An engraved one: RD2746, and one cast into the foot: 16033-443 Here are a couple of quick snap shots of it-

Bill

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That is one fine looking scope there Bill :D , they don't make them like that anymore, at least I don't think. It looks like stainless steel and brass, I don't think they make that anymore either! :lol: You got that at UNC huh...they got anymore of 'em? How much was it, not to be nosey but I am and curious also. :roll: I have one option for photography through that scope but it would be a bit awkward and I know a guy who could probably or might be able to outfit you with a more professional type of photographic assembly but still lets wait and see what the rest of the gang has to say. So have you used it much since acquiring it and if so what have you to say about its performance and what have you viewed through it? :D

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

I was at a local flea market, at the State Fair Grounds. A guy in a pick-up truck there with 6 Spencers, this B&L, and two older B&Ls, one was stereoscopic. He got them from State surplus. They all still had UNC School of Medicine labels on them. He thought the older B&Ls might be "collectable". and they might be. But they were missing some parts, and in rougher shape, and they weren't has heavy. The Spencers looked more used. They were mostly Stainless, but no brass that I could detect. All the scopes had cases, except this one! But this one was in the best shape! The dove tails are solid brass, it weighs close to 20 pounds. He was asking hundreds for the older ones, $150 for everthing else. None were flying out of the back of his truck... so after some talking... I paid $50 bucks cash! I thought I did good.

I have viewed a strand of my hair and some nylon cord with the 10x lens. Seemed to be fine. I am waiting for slides before I experiment much more.
Bill

psneeley

Post by psneeley »

First, I'm not knowledgable on B&L, but I do know that this document:
http://xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/ ... Window.pdf

Answers your question. The letter 'R' as in 'RDxxxx' means that the scope was built in 1954. 'D' refers to 'Class 31' which simply means 'a microscope'.

Your best bet for more information is to ask your questions on Yahoo's Microscope forum:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Microscope/

where a knowledgable B&L owner will probably jump in.

Hope this helps,

Steve

psneeley

Post by psneeley »

BTW, that looks like an AO Spencer Starlight attachable substage illuminator -- Cat# 612 or 618???

See here: http://xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Bulbs.htm

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Got to say you did good Bill, heck the stand by itself is worth $50.00. You know when I first started taking photos through the microscope, I used to just hold a small digital camera up to the eyepiece. Worked really well until I go the urge to get a little fancier, thats when the "bug" really bites you. :wink:

psneeley

Post by psneeley »

The illuminator, alone, is worth $20+. These older 'Black' upright, monocular models are 'old fashioned', but very, very good. They typically have stunning optics (in the central FOV, they are not usually Plan optics) and rock solid mechanics. No doubt this will make a fine scope for photomicrography. One thing: you may end up putting a mirror in and using an external illuminator so that you can have more control over the lighting, etc. Many good B&L and AO external illuminators can be found on eBay -- mirrors probably too.

B&L (and AO) scopes and optics go for deep discounts on eBay for the simple fact that they are in plentiful supply in the U.S. . . . not that they are 'cheaply' made by any means.

FWIW,

Steve

salden

Post by salden »

Looks like one of the many that Tom owns. Maybe he will see the post. At least it looks like one he acquired a while back.
Sue Alden

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Thanks everybody for the input and the oompliments. Steve, yes, I believe the illuminator is marked "National Optical". I noticed, when I bought it, it was made to fit this microscope, but, was made by somebody other than B&L.I am at work now, when I get home I will get into the links you suggested.
Bill

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Welcome aboard Bill.

Very pretty microscope! $50 well spent indeed!

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Charles- Nice to meet you! I have been visiting the galleries... Your biological photos are spectacular! Each one is a treat to view.
Bill

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Steve- Your eye is keen! It is indeed a AO612. And thank you for finding the B&L date of manufacture chart. It must be a 1954.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic