Chrysiridia rhipheus

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AndrewC

Chrysiridia rhipheus

Post by AndrewC »

You know, I feel quite left out for not having any posted shots of these beauties. for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure it is well worth the minimal expense of picking up a specimen. They are quite a candy store of colours and textures :)

Pictures taken with Nikon 10x, 20x and 40x objectives, Nikon flash lighting, automated vertical stacker running a pedestrian (for it !) 2-5um slice depth, stacked with ZS comme d'habitude !

Pick a colour, any !:

Tail:

Pigmented and iridescent scales (20x):

Pigmented and iridescent scales (40x)

Andrew

Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Andrew,

The colors are indeed amazing....
But the image clarity as well. How perfect!

Regards,
Barry

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Barry wrote:Hi Andrew,

The colors are indeed amazing....
But the image clarity as well. How perfect!

Regards,
Barry
Thanks - they were from the first run on my vertical stage. I'm rather pleased with it .... but still need a few more tweaks.

.... and I've still got your lens to test :wink:

Andrew

marc

Post by marc »

Hi Andrew,

these are are really great colors. Funny, in the last picture I can see the same iridescent pink tone on the orange scales as in my pictures.

Marc

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

marc wrote:...I can see the same iridescent pink tone on the orange scales as in my pictures.

Marc
The colours on these scales are quite remarkable - they come from a combination of interference and reflection from scale to scale - that's why they are curved that way ! I'm not quite sure how much the light source affects the final colour - most people seem to shoot these with fibre optic sources, I used flashes, both are fairly broad spectrum. I'm going to have a go next week with some high intensity LED sources which have a much narrow spectrum - it will be interesting to see if anything changes.

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Danny

Post by Danny »

Andrew, I love the images more than the technical side. For me personally, its the images that count. Man do these count !!!. There is a line in my tiny brain that separates where macro / micro photography becomes art. This is not only photography, but also art.

Superb colours and abstract qualities and all taken brilliantly. I would love to see these blown up huge and all hanging on the same wall.

All the best Andrew, the images simply shine by themselves, figuratively and literally.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Danny wrote:Andrew, I love the images more than the technical side. For me personally, its the images that count. Man do these count !!!. There is a line in my tiny brain that separates where macro / micro photography becomes art. This is not only photography, but also art.

Superb colours and abstract qualities and all taken brilliantly. I would love to see these blown up huge and all hanging on the same wall.

All the best Andrew, the images simply shine by themselves, figuratively and literally.

Danny.
Thanks mate :) Trouble is I ran out of wall space a long time ago. I'd love to get some kind of magic digital poster to hang on the wall that used only 1W of power and had superb contrast and colour and was wirelessly linked to an image store but 'till then ....

Good to see you active again .... I thought you'd lost the faith or something worse :(

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Danny

Post by Danny »

Ha, all I can say is, get another house with bigger walls :)

Been working down in the south island here and living out of a suitcase. Far too long and too many hours. I finally quit the job ;)

All the best Andrew and stunning images. BTW, just spent a good half hour with a coffee on your site. In my favourites now ;)

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

marc

Post by marc »

The colours on these scales are quite remarkable - they come from a combination of interference and reflection from scale to scale - that's why they are curved that way
I always thought that their curved shape occurs during the storage due to moisture or something else. But this is a good explanation for the phenomenon.
I'm going to have a go next week with some high intensity LED sources which have a much narrow spectrum
This would be very interesting.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic