Canon XSi second-curtain sync

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RogelioMoreno

Canon XSi second-curtain sync

Post by RogelioMoreno »

I have a Canon XSi (450D) and an old Nikon flash that I would like to use in manual mode. I would like to use the XSi second-curtain sync; but the camera does not allow me to chance the setting for the external flash because it does not find a compatible TTL flash. I would like to know if I put a compatible TTL Canon flash (I do not have a Canon flash, I have to look for someone that has one) on the camera and change the setting to sync with the second-curtain and then remove the Canon flash, does the Canon XSi will fire my old Nikon flash using second-curtain sync?

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

No, I don't think so. With the Canon bodies I'm familiar with you need a Canon flash that provides this setting. You can use a the Canon flash at a low manual power setting (and set a rear sync) on the camera to trigger other (non-Canon) flash units with optical slaves.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Thank you for your answer.

It is a feature of the lower models or it is the same on all the Canon camera, did you use a Canon flash to second-curtain sync your Vivitar 283?

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Rogelio,

Since I use flash for active critters I want the release to be as fast as possible. So I use 1/200 second shutter speed with normal flash sync. This also prevents the continuous light from recording a "ghost" image. Sometimes (with a wet mount at high magnification) I'll set the mirror "lock up" custom function on, and then hit the shutter release when I am getting close to taking the picture. That way when I take the picture the mirror is already up.

When I want a long exposure and a second curtain sync with the Canon 5D (using manual external non-Canon flash) I use a 550EX flash at low manual power, set to rear sync, and trip the other flash units via an optical slave.

I don't know about the new 7D (they have really enhanced the flash operation with that camera) but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is with the other Canon bodies.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Thank you very much, now everything is clear.

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic