Haematococcus pluvialis, astaxanthin, cysts

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Haematococcus pluvialis, astaxanthin, cysts

Post by Charles Krebs »

About six weeks ago I posted some shots from an Haematococcus sample that was pretty "green". As the sample aged and living conditions became less desirable, more became encysted and the astaxanthin content of the cells increased. Here are a few new images.

Olympus BHS, Olympus S Plan Apo 40/0.95, NFK 1.67, Canon 50D, electronic flash. DIC.

Olympus BHS, Olympus S Plan Apo 40/0.95, NFK 1.67, Canon 50D, electronic flash. DIC.

Olympus BHS, Olympus S Plan Apo 10/0.40, NFK 1.67, Canon 50D, electronic flash. Darkfield.

Olympus BHS, Olympus S Plan Apo 100/1.40, NFK 1.67, Canon 50D, electronic flash. DIC.

By coincidence I came across a phase contrast image of this subject that I took 5 years ago. So I decided to add it, as it's interesting to compare it to the DIC version above.

Nikon Labophot, Nikon CF E Plan Achromat DL 100/1.25, Nikon CF 2.5X photo-eyepiece, Canon 10D, electronic flash. Phase contrast.
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

This are excellent pictures.

I would like to have the budget to get DIC.

Rogelio

Ernst Hippe

Post by Ernst Hippe »

Charles,

it's impossible to find the right words of appreciation - overwhelming!
When will you make a book??

Ernst

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Charles,
these are awesome images :shock: :shock: ...best contrast and definition!!
congratulations
Arturo

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Charles you have your own army of "me too! heads", of which I am a happy member.
Last edited by g4lab on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Superb! I hope you enter at least one of these as a follow up to your 4th place Bioscapes image! :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

g4lab wrote:Charles you have your own army of dittoheads, of which I am a happy member.
g4lab, I know what you mean, but out of curiosity I tried looking it up. What I discovered is that Wiktionary's definition is not what you intended.

Having a worldwide audience for this forum creates some interesting wrinkles. In my own postings, I've gotten in the habit of doing a Google define: word when I use an odd one, and checking to be sure that the meaning I intend is someplace near the top of the list. Frighteningly often, it is not in there at all!

Charles, "me too!"

--Rik

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Charles,

these shots are simply spectacular!

Regards,
Ecki

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic